Sunday, July 12, 2009

Stuff

So another week has gone by. It was a chemo week. I had fewer side effects this time around than before. I still couldn't sleep very well on Monday night and had some pretty bad stomach acid in spite of the Protonix. I actually suspect it is the Aloxi (anti-nausea) that is giving me the most problems. I don't think I really need it but they seem to continue to think so. I will discuss it with Dr. Kasamon at my next appointment. I slept a decent bit on Tuesday and didn't feel so hot, primarily thanks to the night before. Wednesday I had the port out and, well, that was about it. The hand and foot syndrome was not as bad this time around as last.

We still don't have any furniture for our porch and Emily is getting a tad cranky about it. I'm not paying $100 to have $120 worth of flat-pack furniture delivered though. We are both sitting out on the hammock now. Emily is reading a book and I am obviously on the laptop.

Still no forward progress on that workbench.

Wednesday night we ate at Akbar's, an Indian restaurant in Columbia. The food was excellent. I never knew I liked Indian food so much. Our server guy was hilarious but I think he forgot we were there for a while. I was in no hurry so I didn't care. There were very few people there.

Saturday we did absolutely nothing. We never started the cars, which was a nice change. Emily weeded and generally kept her gardens, I mowed the lawn. We both worked out later that night too. I've got some sore muscles around my dorsal area.

Today Emily went out to the barn and rode Addy and I went with her. But this time I brought my bike along and went for a ride from there. I have never explored out that way before so it was an adventure. I did a nice little 13 mile loop that wasn't overly hilly but plenty to give me a workout today. I'm pretty sure there is just no substitute for getting on a bike and doing hills. Lifting weights and cross training just doesn't equate. I can do 3 sets of whatever quad exercises, but climbing one hill I must do the equivalent of a 100 reps. It was a good ride. I felt stronger already than the week before. I also passed a house whose owner must be a Ham Radio guy because he had literally the biggest antenna field I have ever seen before. There were like 7 towers and at least 14 antennas. And the towers were not short. I wish I had taken a picture with my cell phone. Another time perhaps.

After we got home and cleaned up we went to Scittino's for some super yummy pizza. We skipped Opie's this time. But we did get some lunch meat for the week and Emily bought some canolis and canoli filling (her original reason for wanting to go).

Mom and Holly come up for a short visit this week. We'll be no doubt gorging ourselves on yummy food since it's about the only thing Emily and I know how to do.

edit: we have this annoying drain in our basement (for the kitchen sink and the utility sink in the basement and hence the washing machine as well) that clogs up. I have a snake and it has worked like a charm in the past, but there is no easy access so I have to disassemble things to get the snake in. I bought the PVC to put a snake entrance in, but haven't actually put the PVC in yet. I might do it tonight because it's clogged up again.

Also here are some pictures from recently:

Getting ready to ride out at the barn; notice the scrawny legs.


Off I go!


This isn't from this weekend but is typical weekend behavior for me. Notice Squirrely slumbering as well.


edit 2: I started working on the pipes, cut one in half and then realized I only have CPVC cement and this pipe is PVC. *sigh* Going to Lowe's first thing in the morning to buy the right cement and put it all back together permanently. Also, the reason it clogged is because the new lint traps we (were) using on the washing machine suck and were letting a ton of lint down the drain, so it all piled up and there is presumably some really nasty ball of crap about four feet down the pipe. I got it opened up to some degree I believe with the snake.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan,
    What a happy, handsome guy!!!! I'm so glad you got to ride, and such a DISTANCE!!!!! 2-3 miles would absolutely do ME in!!!!
    You two have a wonderful week.............ENJOY your Mom and Holly and ALL the food you are going to EAT!!!!
    Love to you and Emily, Jill-Mom
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ryan,

    Loved the pictures. You look happy and peaceful, two excellent states of mind. 13 miles, on your bike, is great. You will be back to your previous level of endurance before you know it.

    I'm glad the hand and foot syndrome was not as bad. Too bad about the continued problem with sleeplessness though.

    If you or Emily are concerned about not having the furniture for the deck, because Holly and I are coming, don't be. We are perfectly comfortable sitting cross-legged on the floor. It is actually easier on my lower back.

    Only two more days till we are together again. I'm looking forward to lots of eating, since that is something I also seem able to do well. My, aren't we a talented family.

    Good luck with the pipe and drain. I was unaware that there were lint filters in washing machines. Are they supposed to be removed and cleaned or changed periodically? In the 35 years of owning a washing machine, I have never done that. I'm always learning something new on this blog.

    I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited
    And I just can't hide it
    And I know, I know, I know, I know
    I know I want to
    Come see you:)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete