Thursday, December 29, 2011

Coming Home?

Sorry for the several days lapse in posting! Ryan is still at Hopkins, but there's talk of him being discharged today. I've spent the last 2 days talking to all many many people, trying to sort out all of the details.

He's recovering very well from the brain surgery. Unfortunately, the cancer is a whole 'nother issue. His swelling is worse, and while he has a good appetite, he can't fit nearly as much food into his stomach as he'd like. Small meals throughout the day help a bit...

As terrifying as this sounds, we've signed him up with Gilchrist Hospice. Really, it's been an amazing thing thus far. Now I'm not taking him home to an empty house, trying to figure out for myself how to deal with everyday life and his new limitations. The hospital could have helped with some things, but hospice covers much more and gives us a sort of safety net. Once we're home for a few days, if all goes well, we'll transport him to Florida.

So many people have stepped up to help us out with things that honestly I'm just flabbergasted. I don't even know where to begin thanking people for their kindness and hard work. This is such an incredibly difficult time, but we have amazing friends, family, and even strangers who have been standing in the wings just waiting for us to say "please help!" It is so comforting. So, if you're one of those people.. you have our sincerest heartfelt thank yous. And everyone else who is reading, offering thoughts and prayers - thank you to you as well!


2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the update Emily..it's got to be so difficult to write about, but may be some therapy for you. I can't tell you (AGAIN) how wonderful Hospice is.......they have incredible resources and can think clearly for you and Ryan when life just gets too muddled. Ryan is so blessed to have YOU and Erin looking out for his interests. Just be assured, that we are all here (if I can be so bold to speak for both sides of family) to help in any way to get both of you down here. You are ALL in my thought day and night. I LOVE YOU ALL!!!!!! Mom
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooooooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've said it before, I'll say it again, and I'll think it forever... You two are both just so amazing. *hugs* and SoOoOoOo much love!!!!

    ReplyDelete