Sunday, September 20, 2009

Birthday and concert

So my birthday has come and gone. It was fun. Emily bought me some presents and Holly got me a funny shirt, for which pictures exist but I don't have them yet. That night we went to Baldwin's Station for the first time to eat. It was a nice place. I've been fairly cold lately and I forgot a jacket and we ate outside, so I was pretty cold for a while unfortunately. My food was excellent and I totally gorged myself though. Emily also thought her food was very good. We'll have to add that and Sykesville to the list of places that we take people visiting.

Last night we went to see Thievery Corporation. The music was very good and the performers (there were sometimes up to 14 people on stage I believe) were all very good. But again, the same complaint I had about PJ Harvey only more so this time: the bass is mixed WAY too loud. I appreciate that they have a bajillion watts of power they can use to shake our insides, but good lord I want to be able to hear something other than deafening bass. It definitely diminished the enjoyment of the concert. I really like the Ram's Head On Stage venue in Annapolis (where we saw Marcus Miller and Ingrid Michaelson) because it's small and they appear to have competent engineers who mix things well. The sound has always been excellent there.

I was thinking last night of all the bands I have seen in concert and I think I will collect them here for posterity, in roughly chronological order to the best of my memory:

Less Than Jake (several times)
RX Bandits (opened for LTJ in like 1999)
311 (several times)
Jimmy's Chicken Shack (opened for 311)
Korn, Rob Zombie, Orgy, and Videodrone (one concert)
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones (several times)
Medeski, Martin, & Wood
Bela Fleck & Edgar Meyer
London Royal Philharmonic Orchestra
Gipsy Kings
Stanley Clarke, John-Luc Ponty, and Al Di Meola
Bela Fleck, John-Luc Ponty, and Stanley Clarke
George Duke & Stanley Clarke
Pancho Sanchez & the Orlando Philharmonic Orchestra
Nine Inch Nails, Bauhaus, and TV On The Radio
John Scofield
Ingrid Michaelson
Marcus Miller (once solo and once opening for George Duke)
Pine Leaf Boys
PJ Harvey
Thievery Corporation


Surely there are many missing here, but I'll have to come back and add them as they pop into my head. Also can you see my musical tastes changing from 8th grade to now?

5 comments:

  1. Hey guys,
    Tom Rush is going to be at Ram's Head March 13, 2010. I think you would really enjoy him!!!!! No problem with bass!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just telling Ryan how much fun Tom Rush is...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I SOOOOOOOO HOPE you guys GO~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ryan,

    Too bad the last concert was a disappointment. Too bad the Xeloda isn't working better. Too bad about your teeth cracking. Too bad my school computer wont let me blog anymore. Yahoo for the the CT scan. Yahoo for your birthday dinner.

    As far as your band list.... I've only heard Bela Fleck and Gypsy Kings. I've heard of Less than Jake, but I haven't actually heard them. I'm not one to step out of my comfort zone when it comes to music. You and Holly try to educate me, but alas...

    When do you think you'll go back to the pump for your chemo? Next treatment? The weather is getting just right for camping, so it would nice if you could do something about the hand and foot syndrome ASAP. Bringing the pump to work might not be so bad. I know that is easy for me to say, but you have proven yourself to be so adaptable. You will find a way to deal with this as well. I hope you wont need to work Saturdays. You and Emily need that time for each other.

    I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, your musical tastes have changed since 8th grade. All of our tastes have changed. Change is good. The London Royal Philharmonic Orchestra really stands out among the others on that list.

    I hope your hand/foot syndrome will completely go away when you change back to the pump method of treatments. I also hope you keep getting those wonderful scan results. Yea!

    I heard the fall colored leaves are beginning to drop in New England. Are you seeing any in your area? I am so looking forward to seeing the fall colors when your Mom and I go to SC and NC Oct 17. And you know what? If we don't see a peak color season it won't matter to us because we'll have each other's company and love.

    Now come on ... let's see a picture of that funny shirt!

    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete