Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Long time no post!

It seems like it's been forever since I've made a post on here. I'm losing steam of keeping this thing up to date. Seems like I just write the same thing over and over. I forget where we left off, so I'll just guess rather than take the two minutes it will take to read the last post.

I have had one cycle (which is two weeks on, one week off... I'm on the off week) of Xeloda. I like it from a convenience perspective. It definitely made me more fatigued than the two day IV did. I also developed much more severe hand and foot syndrome by the end of it. It wasn't too bad up until the last couple of days. By the last Sunday and the first Monday off (this Monday) I basically couldn't walk straight because my feet were so sensitive. I talked to Dr. Kasamon about it today and he said my symptoms "weren't that bad" and he is right given how much worse it could be, though it still sucked. There is a fine line to draw between managing symptoms and killing cancer. We're going to work through a few more cycles titrating the dose down until we can get it so that the irritation doesn't get quite to the point it did this time.

We also (again) discussed how weird my particular presentation of rectal cancer was. He commented that if my primary tumor had been higher up in my colon it likely would have taken 10 years to metastasize it's way out. It's probable that mine took a lucky quick route out of my rectum into this peripheral lymph system that runs up and down your spine, which could explain my distant metastasis in my neck. Nobody will ever know for sure though, not that it really matters either. We also talked about Horner's symdrome (one pupil bigger than the other), which is what they're calling what I have. Apparently there are two sets of ganglions (like mini-brains, just a big ball of nerves) running up and down your spine on each side that perform a sort of first-pass processing of nerve signals before getting to your brain. Well it turns out that one of the ganglions that control some muscles in the face and eyes is right next to your subclavian vein where central lines (e.g. a port) are placed. It's odd that it took so long after having a port and what-not that this happened, and it's also odd that it's on the opposite side. But interesting nonetheless. I'm going to see a neurophomologist sometime in the near future who specializes in this sort of thing. I doubt there's anything really to be done about it, but we'll see. For whatever reason this month is absolutely ridiculous in terms of doctors visits and things of that sort. I count about 15 appointments that I have over the month of September.

I went for a bike ride today, first one in quite some time. It didn't go so well. I'm in terrible shape, and I had a milkshake at lunch. That was also a bad idea. I hope that I can make it out to ride at least vaguely more often. Even the 45 minutes today was a hell of a lot better than the nothing that I usually do. I want to go camping this weekend, though I haven't yet shared this fact with Emily. Maybe we'll drag Pat and Minh Chau along too! The weather here has been absolutely gorgeous the last few days and will continue to be as such for another week or so it seems. A cold front came through. Lows at night in the 50s, highs in the day low 70s. It's like Fall only earlier!

Emily and I bought a "real" bed finally this Monday. No more sleeping on a futon, though I have come to rather enjoy it. I suspect neither of us is sleeping all that well thanks to it though. As several of you have figured out, we spent an obscene amount of money on a queen size Tempur-Pedic "RhapsodyBed". We've slept on one before (at Emily's former Florida neighbor's house) and it was pretty amazing. Tempur-Pedic pillows are also very nice and they kindly threw a few of those in to sweeten the deal. But good lord does the stuff smell terrible out of the factory! We've got a pillow in my room airing right now so it doesn't gas us in our sleep. So we skipped from futon to one of the most expensive "sleep systems" you can get! Woohoo!

Here are some pictures from our Florida trip:

This is me sitting under an umbrella at the pool.


A big old Florida banana spider


A couple of big ole' Florida banana spiders

4 comments:

  1. Ah, isn't it amazing howm if you just throw one of those crazy banana spiders in a picture, suddenly it is an awesome shot??? And then you got one with TWO spiders!!! My mind blew a little on that one;)

    I never considered how you guys went from a futon for YEARS to the best thing out there... Jesh, that WAS a jump! I guess you won't be an acurate gauge then for whether or not "The System" is a real change.

    Be kind to yourself.... 45 minutes of biking is no small feat, ESPECIALLY after what your body has been through in less then a year! When I haven't run for a while, I'm lucky to pull off a half hour, & my body is pefectly functioning! But the body acclimates again:) I know yours has been through a lot, but you'll kick ass again on those hills;) I hope you get to both ride & camp in the AMAZING weather you guys seem to be having, I am jealous! (Although, for the first time this season, it started FEELING like fall this morning here, too!) That is, if you can fit it in between all those doctor appointments. *ick*

    I know it seems like an obvious statment, but I really do hope your feet & hand problem subside. I can't imagine how frustrated I would be with that! But then again, I'm a wimp compared to you;)

    Love ya!!! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on buying the new bed. Getting up now is more like getting down. I don't care how old you are, it's always more difficult to lift a sleepy body up than it is to let it slide down off the side of a bed.

    I'm glad you got some cycling time. Perhaps frequency rather then duration is a better approach ... but I know you don't want to hear that ... sorry.

    You look so copasetic under that umbrella. You're absolutely amazing about that, Ryan. You seem to keep your inner spirit so calm. Thank you so much for making that visit to Florida last month. It was very special to see you and Emily.

    I hope the weather stays dry if Emily agrees to go camping. Sounds like fun. Remember the good ole days of camping on the land in North Florida? Oh my gosh was that ever fun. I still remember how the landscape of cypress knees appeared like another planet.

    Thanks for posting ... I was missing your mild wittiness. Tell Emily to keep taking pictures and posting them. I hope you're able to manage the foot and hand symptoms. Stay as comfortable as you can. The bed should really help ... what's up with the smelly new pillow?

    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan,
    I agree with "all"............the spider pics are GREAT!!! I HATE those spiders and I know they are all over the barn.....YUCK!!!!!!!
    Emily always LOVED to dog sit for Emili, just so she could sleep in THAT bed!!!!! Hope you are getting some GOOD ZZZZZZZZZ........
    I too, just hope and pray your foot and hand soreness gets better......."not that bad" is relative maybe for Doc, but for you it's a little more than just an annoyance.
    Give Emily a BIG "HUG" for me...LOVE to you both! Jill-Mom XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi
    I used to see these big ones in Florida! ouch

    ReplyDelete