Thursday, November 12, 2009

Being an adult sucks

How is it possible to have fun as an adult? It seems like there's just a never ending list of things to be worried about or spend money on. sigh.

Emily's car has been giving us fits this week. It's been out of commission all week long just to have a front brake job. Then we're replacing 3 tires, balancing, rotating, and aligning them. It'll cost a lot. I feel a bit silly given that the car is 11 years old, has 111k miles, and is worth like $2000. But then again it hasn't given us that much trouble so maybe it'll be worth it to keep it safe and running in the long run.

It the midst of my burning hatred of having car issues buying a new car (for me, hah!) has been brought back to the forefront of my thought.

I'm pretty sure I want a 2010 VW Golf TDI w/ DSG transmission. There's a $1700 tax credit for the DSG over the $1300 for the manual. That's pretty substantial money there. Plus you can write off state taxes on your federal taxes through the year. I've been in contact with the same VW guy we some months ago, he's pretty friendly and not pushy, which I really like. I still have dreams of moving to England in 2-3 years, and all VWs come with 3 year/36,000 "everything" warranties (e.g. oil changes included and stuff) (of course, you actually pay for this service in the cost of the vehicle, but whatever) ... so I wouldn't have it long enough to have to worry about insane problems!

We are very busy this weekend. Apparently we're getting our first greyhound in a long time to foster. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't think we have enough time amongst us to do all the things we want to and take care of a dog. But we'll have to. Also, Rob and Barb are coming over for a BBQ (though it might be cold and rainy). So maybe next week sometime I'll go test drive some VWs.

The 2010 VW GTI I'd like to test drive too, but it costs slightly more than the TDI, gets poorer gas mileage, and uses premium fuel. But it has 200BHP and does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds. It's probably insanely fun to drive. I drive like a granny anyway though, so who am I trying to fool?

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you drive like a granny 'cause you drive a granny car..... The GTI could bring out the Stig in you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT'S SCARY!!!!! Go for it Ryan......

    ReplyDelete
  3. I NEVER wanted to grow up, I KNEW that would just be trouble.


    And Emily, the VERY FIRST thing I thought when Ryan was listing all those car thoughts was, "How can I make some witty Top Gear comment about this?" But you beat me to it, and marvelously done, too!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete