Sunday, November 29, 2009

New car

So I bought a new car, a 2010 Volkswagen Golf Mk6 TDI with a DSG transmission and the "cold weather package" (heated front seats, heated side mirrors, heated washer nozzles). It's a diesel and it gets good gas mileage (I averaged over 46mpg on the way home). It certainly is nice to drive. It'll be hard to ever go back to a "lesser" car now! Of course I'll probably live to regret it when the warranty ends and I have to pay to maintain this extremely complicated vehicle.

Apparently there are only about 400 of these particular vehicles on the country right now, and I had to drive 130 miles to New Jersey to get one that I wanted.


In the parking lot at the dealer. It was a cold and dreary day.


Emily took this while she followed me home from New Jersey.


The steering wheel, with multifunction controls and paddle shifters.


The rear TDI badge.


Emily is the official picture taker and she didn't take any pictures of the whole car, oh well!

8 comments:

  1. WOW!!!!!! How exciting it THAT!!!
    Have FUN (not TOO much)!
    Jill-Mom
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's a heated water nozzle?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By heated water nozzles I mean that the things the fluid comes out of for your windshield wipers on the dash are heated. So that way they'll work in cold weather. I guess it's useful if you have a salted windshield or de-icing fluid. I'm not even entirely sure that that was included, but I vaguely recall having read it somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats, my haven't met yet friend. I am definitely a little greener... with envy, not chemo!

    I can -definitely- recommend some enjoyable cheap tweaks if you are in the mood. The brakes and suspension from a GTI will bolt right on with very little effort and not a lot of expense either; plenty of GTI owners ditch theirs for pennies on vwvortex. Do not buy a VAG-COM because I already own one and frequently scan/tune for others. You will find friends at both tdiclub and vwvortex.com. Enjoy!
    (PS - Top Gear 14 episode 3 downloading now!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'll let the car break in a bit before I go replacing things on it, but thanks for the pointers! Compared to my old Saturn, the brakes on this car are amazing. Steering is very nice too.

    Also, S14E03 of Top Gear was extremely funny. Certainly the best of the season so far.

    One of these days we'll have to have a little VW get together or something!

    ReplyDelete
  6. S04E04, S05E06, S06E09, S07E06 - all VW Golf TDI episodes, though none of them were the TDI version and most of them are the GTI version (the "hot hatch")

    ReplyDelete