Thursday, February 12, 2009

Day after the port

I stayed home from work today so that I could make sure I recovered well from surgery. I slept in, quite a bit. That was probably a good idea. I certainly feel less sore today than yesterday. But then I got pretty bored after being awake for only a couple of hours, and fell asleep again. Now I feel pretty crappy: too much sleep, I think.

I think I am going to cancel my appointment with Dr. Diaz at Johns Hopkins, mostly out of laziness on my part. I don't feel like going there all that much on Monday, and I haven't contacted any of my doctors to have my medical records faxed over there. I also don't have a copy of my most recent CT or PET scan, so I would have to go retrieve those myself tomorrow as well. I just don't have the energy or desire to deal with more health related things tomorrow and drive around and collate it all. I have quite a bit of the medical records that have been generated about me already, but I don't have an easy way to get them there ahead of time. I don't know, I really just don't have the energy. I am also not expecting anything exciting to come of the visit. There doesn't appear to be any real "super awesome" research or anything going on with this. Dr. Diaz is in charge of a clinical trial, which I took a look at. I might be eligible for it, but I might not (because of the Hodgkin's). It is a phase-II trial though, and I'm not sure I really want to be involved in a placebo controlled phase-II trial. And since the goal isn't "total cure", well I'm just not that interested. I'd rather just go with what has been shown to be effective.

I need to get back to work, I think I have exhausted my ability to sit around home doing nothing. I could probably find other things to do, but when you're sore and patched up... well there isn't much more to do.

Also, the wind has been hellacious over the last 24 hours. A huge piece of fascia board fell off the side of the house, again. It got mangled up this time too. I hate fascia board. This piece isn't getting replaced, since it's too big to buy another one to fit in my car and get it home. It doesn't seem to serve any purpose other than aesthetic and it's hard to get it actually attached to anything. Since this winter we've lost probably 25 feet of fascia board off various bits of the house and about 15-20 feet of siding off the very top-most part of the back of the house. We've got Tyvek showing. Some time I will have to get up there and put it back, with wood screws this time. (This particular piece has fallen down before, and been reattached with nails, which came out with it again.)

5 comments:

  1. Regarding 'anything exciting to come of the visit' ... it looks like you're going to have to dig real deep for the kinds of exciting things that will help pull you up by your bootstraps for a while. I bet you'll find some'thing', Ryan. When you get your energy back be ready and some'thing' creative will come. This is regarding all visits ... not just doctor visits.
    Love you, Ryan!! your Aunt Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Docter will still be there later in the week. Take Monday off (it's a Government holiday anyway) and use some of that energy to spend a nice day with Emily (that doesn't include working on the house). You don't sound too sure of Dr. Diaz anyway. I'm with you on finding something that has shown to be more effective. Stay strong and keep the faith (I know, easy for me to say). Love you man. Your Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan,
    This is ACTUALLY Holly posting this time:) Mom is not really sure how she keeps posting under my name (& neither am I for that matter since I have never posted on a blog before). We'll get it figured out one of these days:)

    I feel for you & your perpetual state of boredom. Boredom is like torture so far as I am concerned, so I hope you find something fun you CAN do until the wounds heal.

    Oh, & FYI, I never noticed anything missing off tha house... That may have been because I was ridiculously excited about the snow, but still... It can't be THAT noticable:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you believe it. I just posted my first blog to you and it worked!!!!!
    Love you--Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your Grandma can do it, I guess I have a chance! How can you be bored with the 2 "sweet" kitties!!! Pray you feel well today, discussions go good tomorrow. Will TRY to post this!!!!
    Love you, Jill-Mom

    ReplyDelete