Friday, February 13, 2009

More information that you perhaps wanted...

So a rule if you're reading this blog is not to be squeamish about anything related to medical conditions.

On that note, I think I've been constipated for the last day or two. It's actually pretty hard to tell when you have "abstract" pain in your abdomen and back. Is it the normal chronic pain, or is it your gut telling you that it is brimming over? I haven't had a good bowel movement in about 1.5-2 days now, which in "normal" circumstances wouldn't be a big deal. But my bowels still haven't really returned to normal since being hacked apart and put back together. My stools have started to harden up, which I think may be slowing things down again. I've been told by my surgeon to switch from my no-fiber diet to a high-fiber diet (now that things have healed enough). I haven't done that yet, so that's the next step. I've been taking milk of magnesia and colace in the hopes of getting things moving normally, but no real luck so far. On Wednesday I had quite a bit of narcotic pumped through me (from the anesthesia and then to dull the pain from the incisions. I think I took about 30mg of oxycodone throughout the day on top of whatever they gave me in the anesthesia). Narcotics have a way of stopping you up. So perhaps that's what is going on too.

In any case, I didn't go to work yesterday, like I said, because I was trying to stay home and heal. Well later in the day I started to feel pretty shitty. It continued through to this morning, where I felt even shittier. I got out of bed and took a shower around 8:30 with the hopes of getting in to work around 10:30-11:00. Well, I took a phenagran (anti-nausea) and 20 minutes later took 2 tbsp of milk of magnesia, then ate a couple bites of a bagel of a bit later. Then I threw it all up. That was about the end of my ambitions for the day, and I just went back to bed to try and settle my stomach down. Which is unfortunate because I was actually look forward to going into work and to not continue to hemorrhage whatever leave I have left.

When I finally got back out of bed around 3pm I felt a little better. I managed to finish the bagel and it's still down, so that is good. I called Dr. Kasamon's office and asked them to fax whatever records they had to Hopkins. I decided that I'm going to go see Dr. Diaz after all, and I'll just bring what I have and whatever he has, well hopefully it's sufficient. I think it should be for an initial consultation. We'll see how it goes. Emily has this complication of her horse's feet are being done at the same time and she already told her farrier that she was going to be there, so I don't know what will happen with that.

Patrick and Minh Chau are coming up to visit tomorrow. I think we're planning to do nothing and just watch TV and play video games. It will be a grand old time.

Also: cars. Emily and I have been idly tossing around the idea of getting a new (well, most likely a used, but new to us) car for a while now. While my mom was up visiting, my car's coolant light came on and was making one hell of a racket. She thought it was normal, which is perhaps understandable since I have been driving it around. It was making some noise which didn't sound good, but I hadn't had it looked at. But when I went out to take a look, the coolant reservoir was basically empty and the noise was like 1000% worse. Turns out the water pump was giving up the ghost. I drove it to British American auto that morning to get the noise checked out, and about 1 mile away the water pump completely failed. The car was in the red by the time I got it parked. The quote for the repair was $640 (to replace the water pump and belts, and then to see what else might be wrong). This was unfortunately within my bounds of how much I was willing to spend. They fixed it, and didn't find any other major engine problems. So I now theoretically have a working vehicle again (though I haven't driven it since).

Still though, my cars has 120k miles and burns oil (and has a good deal of normal maintenance coming due). Emily's car has like 85k miles I think and is 10 years old. Neither of us trust our cars and neither of us have ever really owned a "nice" car. So the urge is there and strong to get another.

I very much like the 5-door hatchback body style, though it isn't all that popular in the U.S. I saw tons of cars like this in the U.K. Examples include: Honda Fit, Nissan Versa, Toyota Yaris, Mazda Mazda3 hatchback, Saab 9-3 wagon, and a couple of others. I also like the idea of nice comfortable heated seats, which typically means you're looking at leather upholstery. I dislike sunroofs/moonroofs. This is a very complicating factor because they are included on basically every model that is nice enough to have heated seats. Another issue is that most of the 5-door hatchbacks I listed there are the cheapest entry-level car made by the manufacturer. They get great gas mileage, but they are still "cheap" cars. If I buy another car, I want to be able to drive at highway speeds and not listen to 50dB of road noise while I'm doing it. It also makes it hard to get all of the options I would want.

I have found that the Mazda3 s Grand Touring hatchback model actually meets all of my requirements. It gets good gas mileage (29mpg highway), is available without a sunroof/moonroof, has heated leather seats. I don't know how the ride quality is, so I guess I'd just have to test drive one. But it is kind of expensive for what I was looking to spend. Another option is the venerable Honda Accord. It's not a hatchback, but it is a nice car and I know several people who own them and they are very nice. The V6 model, which while being more than I feel like I will need in an engine, has a lot of nice options standard. Problem with the Accord is that it's basically not available without a sunroof. I think my ceiling price is also about $20k, which puts new models of both of these out of my price range (not that I'm sure I want a new car anyway). And both of these models are very desirable and thus there usually isn't a huge static selection of used cars. I've been looking.

In any case, maybe in the coming months we'll get a nice shiny new car doodad. Then I won't feel like I'm taking some kind of chance by driving a few hundred miles away for a weekend excursion.

8 comments:

  1. Good Morning. I am up and everyone else human is sleeping. Thought I would say hello and let you know that your are in my thoughts. Read the Blog about the car thing. Kevin, my nephew, I think you remember him, is on his second Mazda 3. As for Accords, John and I have owned, I think, 5. I traded mine for a Solara convertible, because I decided to let the wind blow through my hair! John still has his 05 Accord. He loves his sunroof! He puts on a hat, turns up the music and cruises his 45 or so minutes home. Whatever you decide, it will be nice for you and Emily not to worry about car problems. Dependability of a vehicle can relieve stress that you don't even realize you have. Like you said, you can take a weekend drive without concens or worries.
    Take care...eat something you like and remember we all love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Luck with your car search. Do you want us all to look around down here and see if we can find what you are looking for? I'm not sure if it would be worth the time and expense to get it there, but you never know. It would be nice to be able to help you out with something. I'm sorry to here that your stomach and bowels are still causing you so much trouble. I hate to think of you still in discomfort. Enjoy a quiet weekend with Patrick and Mihn Chau. Tell him I said hello. Happy Valentine's Day. Give me love to Emily.
    I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not squeamish, so those details are rather welcomed in this feeling of being connected with you and Emily.
    I don't remember meeting Minh Chau, but I certainly remember Patrick. When are they coming?
    Get the car doodad!!!! When you do, take that excursion. Speaking of excursions ... I hear through the grapevine that you and Emily will be taking one to Florida ... true?
    BTW, I spent a ton of time reading Emily's blog last night. Oh my gosh! She's got so much in her head (and on it) about knitting. She sounds very proud to be a fourth generation knitter. You go girl! I admire the clothing you have made ... so becoming and a perfect fit. The pictures are awesome and it gives me inspiration to try to improve my camera skills.
    Another inspiration you gave, Emily, was when you said "I will not be a selfish knitter, I will not be a selfish knitte." It's inspirational because it could apply to anything, especially this giant fault I have talking about myself on this blog ... like right now ... oh well!

    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan,

    On the Bowel movement thing, this too shall pass (at least we hope things will start to pass). You are a man of details, but this leaves nothing out. We can really feel just how you are doing by your writings. Keep it up becasue this too will be a very inmportant part of healing (physically, mentally and spiritually).

    OK on the car thing. You know about me when it comes to cars. It it aint broke don't fix it. So that is why I continue to buy a Honda. Had a hard time letting go of my last one (cause it wasn't broke) but it did have over 130K on it and never had any real problems, but neither did any of my last 5. The one I own now (which Candice found for me) is little more sporty. I opted for the V6 and I'm really happy I did. My old one was a 4 Cylinder and didn't have the guts when required. It got 24 MPG. Compared to my 2005 V6 which gets a solid 30 MPG and has the power when required. Also a very quiet nice riding car with a great stereo which puts me in the right frame of mind with my 45 minute daily trip to and from work. No matter what you decide I believe it a good choise and a wise one to have a dependable car (As Candice also said).

    I do hope you start to feel better even if its a little bit everyday. I believe it will come down to getting through this one day at a time anyway. No matter what you must keep up your positive energy and inner spirit (again I know that is easy for me to say, but I'm not as brave as you).

    Do try and enjoy the weekend. Say Hi to Patrick for me and tell him I'm still sorry for shooting him, but it was only a flesh wound and he did get a purple heart for it.

    You and Emily have a great Valentines day together. Love you both and you are in my thoughts always.

    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey!
    We're tag teaming the computer use at John & Candice's... I went running so I had last dibs. Now it's my turn!

    About the BM problem... I don't know if this is an option for you, but what about swigging mineral oil? When my rectal fissure was at its worse & even sitting down was pretty darn painful, I started taking a "swig" (no measurment, just opened the bottled & downed a glug) of mineral oil & BOY did it help! I did it for several months & I was finally able to heal. It may just lubricate everything enough that the problem will go away. And it doesn't hurt to keep taking. You could keep a bottle on hand throughout this process, especially (like you said) since narcotics bind up anyway.

    I don't know a THING about cars so I'm just going to skip over making any comment about that. I will say good MPG is important to me:) My dream car (well, actually my dream is to one day not HAVE a car), but if I could choose any car I would pick a SmartCar or a Prius:) Hmmm, I wonder why?

    Have fun playing some video games! I also don't know anything about video games, but I remember you & the boys having so much fun with them late night after late night back in the day, & at least it's something you can do without putting too much strain on your healing body.

    Staying annoyingly optimistic,
    Holly:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ryan and Emily,

    I take back my comment on Happy Valentines Day. My actual feeling are Screw Valentines Day. I have never liked it and neither has Candice (another one of those organized, advertised made up occations to bleed money from the poor hard working folks). By the way Holly told me you guys don't care about it, so I thought I would share my real thoughts on the subject as we are tag teaming the computer this morning.

    But still Doooooo have a wonderful and inspiring day. Bye Bye.

    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh John, they LOVE Valentines! You misunderstood me! I'm sure Emily hung heart lights all over the house & has the pink plates & heart table runner out! I know you have deeply offended her, shame shame!

    No, actually, I read John's first note wishing you to have a NICE Valentines & I meant to write some really smart ass thing first time around, but I forgot:( So NOW I'm being a smart ass. I echo exactly what John just said!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have you tried eating heated prunes or drinking hot prune juice, it works like magic and no side effects.
    F

    ReplyDelete