Sunday, February 22, 2009

UTI

Yesterday turned out to not be a very good day. Emily went to go visit a couple of prospective farms to move Addy to. I didn't go to the first one (too early in the morning!) but did go to the second. It was quite far away. I didn't feel all that well by the time we had left and it didn't get any better. By the time we got home I was sure something was wrong. I was pretty sure I had some sort of urinary tract infection, likely related to the stent I have in my left ureter.

We went to Patient First, a kind of walk-in clinic which is better than an emergency room. They took some blood and nothing looked bad there (which is good news) and looked at some pee. Sure enough there were bad things in my pee. So now I'm on cipro, an antibiotic, for the next 10 days. Hopefully that clears things up a bit. I'm going to talk to Dr. Kasasmon and perhaps the urologist who put the stent in and see if there is some coordination or something that needs to be going on here. I think the plan is to keep the stent for a while, until they are sure the lymph nodes that were (probably) obstructing the ureter to begin with have shrunk.

It seems like I wake up in the morning (or whenever) and feel fine for about 3-4 hours, then I start to feel worse until I finally fall asleep. Right now I don't feel too bad. I think I'm going to go to Scittino's Italian Market and get some lunch meat for the week and maybe a turkey sub for Emily and I.

Last night, after Patient First, for some strange reason I was craving Domino's Pizza, which I haven't had in a long time. Some time when I was in college was the last time, I'm sure. So it's been more than a couple of years. Well we got a medium cheese pizza. A "medium" pizza is essentially a small. And a "cheese" pizza apparently means a sauce pizza with a very conservative smattering of cheese here and there. It was easily the most disappointing part of my whole day... or perhaps the whole week. Needless to say I do not have a craving for Domino's anymore and likely never will. I almost want to buy a pizza from Scittino's, since I know it's very good. But I think two days of pizza is a bad idea.

4 comments:

  1. Dearest Ryan,
    It's always something!!!! One step forward, two steps back! I know that doesn't sound very optimistic, but basically what I am saying is hang in there, which your are and take one day at a time, which your are! I know I am being redundant. Moving on...
    As John stated, we are so looking forward to seeing you and meeting Emily. I am sorry, but the kitchen will be closed for the evening upon your arrival. If you think you will be hungry, I can make sure there is a snack of some sort. Please let me know. As for pizza today, get a white pizza. No sauce to contend with to bother your stomach. That sounds good to me, maybe I should order one from Casalingo. I skipped lunch because I have been busy today with the typical house BS and my walk. Trying to take better care of myself. John has been at work all day, so I have had time to catch up.
    You and Emily take care and we will see you soon.
    Love,
    Auntie C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Normally, I would have to agree, 2 days in a row of pizza is not the healthiest thing. But how many meals have you missed at this point? And how much weight have you lost? I say eat all the dang pizza you want! And DEFINITELY a Scittino's pizza. I still remember the one we had when I was there (that is the same place, right?) Fantastic freakin pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan,
    I TOTALLY agree with Holly......EAT whatever!!!!! Well, not TOO much junk:) How about ice cream????The REALLY GOOD kind from you know where???
    You've probably had an UTI for at least a couple of days, and that will make you VERY tired.
    Cipro will knock it out fast.
    Find a good farm for my giant grandbaby.........
    She deserves only the BEST! You know how much she's looking forward to that yummy spring grass.
    Have a good week, hopefully you will be feeling much better tomorrow.......Love you, Jill

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ryan,
    I'm so sorry to hear you had something else go wrong. You must be feeling so frustrated. I get angry just reading about everything you are suffering through. I don't know how you remain so matter of fact as you share this kind of information with us. I would be ranting against the fates. What exactly is a stent anyway? I love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete