Monday, February 16, 2009

The last few days

It's been a few days since I've written any updates.

Saturday was an entertaining day. Patrick and Minh Chau came over around 3PM. We just hung out and talked about stuff for a couple of hours, then we took a trip to Ellicott City. They had never been. We went to the Bean Hollow and had coffee/hot chocolate, and Emily and I had some food as well. Then we walked around a bit and looked at the crazy old buildings. Once home, we ate some of the chocolate cake the Emily and I made earlier in the day. We did the whole thing from scratch, even the icing! Never done that before. The cake was really really sweet. The icing is like marshmallow. Then we watched S12E01 of Top Gear (UK), which Pat had never seen. Don't know if he liked it as much as Emily and I do! By the end of the day I wanted to die because of all the sugar I had consumed. Other than that it was a very entertaining day. I was quite tired by the end of it. I think it was the first time I had gotten up at a decent hour (8:30 I think), actually done things, and not passed out in a "nap" for several hours in the middle of the day.

Sunday was not a good day. I just didn't feel quite right for most of the day, which kept me in bed. Then I felt nauseous again around 3:00 and took a phenagran. By about 3:30 I was feeling a good bit better and finally got up and moved around. It was altogether not a very memorable day. I was very cold as well. Even though the house is somewhat warm compared to where he had it last winter (we're keeping it between 67-70 when we're home), it still feels really cold. That's another reason I just hang out in the bedroom and fall asleep: there is a nice electric oil radiator that makes the room feel so snuggly. I think my stomach problems are compounded by staying sedentary so long. I need to get up and move around, get those stomach muscles doing something. It's like a catch-22 though.

Today, Monday, I had my appointment at Johns Hopkins with Dr. Diaz. The drive there was absolutely terrible. We went through the city rather than "all the way around" on the beltway. The thing is about driving up here: it's often faster to go "all the way around" on the highway than to take the direct route. The roads are horrendous and you get to pass endless blocks of depressing dilapidated buildings. We finally got the hospital and then had to wait for a seemingly endless amount of time for a minivan to poke around an absolutely huge parking garage before being able to park. Then we had to make our way across the JH medical campus to the building where our appointment was. It was quite a process. But after it was all done, the meetings actually went well. I didn't get any sense of hubris from any of the people we met, which was surprising and refreshing. I met several pharmacists first, then a surgical fellow, then Dr. Diaz. Dr. Diaz was very amiable and pretty much reinforced and agreed with all the other advice I have had. He said they would be more than happy to treat me (obviously) and that now that I am "in the system" I can come back whenever I need to. I think the pain in the ass associated with getting to JH is enough to deter me from going there for treatment, at least initially. I believe I am going to stick with Dr. Kasamon, at least initially, and see how things go. I am meeting him again in a couple of days where I hope to work out some of the more practical matters of the treatment (when is blood work done, how long does it take, how am I going to deal with the portable IV pump, how will it be removed, etc. etc.). It was a federal holiday so I spent the rest of the day at home (but Emily had to go to work). Which meant I ate some lunch, got bored, and then fell asleep. (doh!) I'm up and moving around now though.

Tomorrow I hope to finally get back to work. I've been in a little bit of pain today for whatever reason. When I got out of bed and started moving a bit, around 4:00 I felt a bit of pain in my back/abdomen. The abdominal pain felt a bit like constipation but I do not actually think that is what it was. I took a Tylenol around 5:00, didn't feel a whole lot better around 6:00, then took 5mg oxycodone. That appears to have done the trick. So I'll be sure to have my full array of medications at my disposal tomorrow. But if I can get up and not feel sick to my stomach, I'm going to have a "normal" day, by god!

The surgeon at JH I talked to said that six weeks a good target for "normal" feeling recovery from such a big surgery. They were all not surprised to hear of my various gastrointestinal woes and said they should all clear up in time, but I'm not all that far out from the surgery yet. I'll buy that, I think!

7 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan,
    Yeah...don't think you realize how long it takes to recover from major surg. One day you feel GREAT and the next NOT!!! Take your time in recovering! It DOES take 6 weeks or more.
    I'm GLAD you're going with Dr. K. for the moment.... I think he seems to have your best interests at heart in that he stays connected with you. I'm sure JH will welcome you with open arms if need be.
    Please know that you are my thoughts and prayers daily.....Love you! Jill-Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ryan,

    Sorry to hear you are still feeling so poorly, but it sounds like you did do a lot on Saturday. May have wore yourself out. Stay on the slow side of things. I think the advise you received here from (Jill-Mom) was great advice. Don't hurry something that is desinged to be a gradual recovery. When our Friend Ray had his surgery for his Cancer removal, it took a very long time for him to regain his strength and have more than one normal day in a row. Overall, I think you are doing fantastic.

    Glad to hear you have started your interface with the Doctors, but it sounds like it was quite the ordeal. But you are now moving forward in the right direction. Listen to your gut feeling and go with it. You will know when it sounds right. You have a really great head on your shoulders, have always been a good thinker and great at analyzing things.

    We had a really great visit from your Mother and Holly. It was comforting and healing for all of us to be able to talk about this. It was like attending group support. You were in all our thoughts the whole time. We continue to hope and pray for you. Keep up your strong inner spirit. Push forward with noting but positive thought and welcome even the smallest of progress in the forward direction.

    Love you man. Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ryan,
    Sounds like Saturday was too much of a good thing. I understand that moving aroung helps get the gastric juices going, but rest is what makes you heal. Are you getting any snow? I'm glad you are going to start your treatments with Kasamon. You've always had a good feeling about him. I'm sure it was reasurring to hear the John Hopkins team concur with Kasamon's recommendations. I hope you had a good day at work today. By the way, what is S12E01 of Top Gear (UK) about???
    As Always, I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. All I have to say is you KNOW you've been home too long when work is THAT appealing.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ryan, just wanted to pop in and say Minh Chau and I had a great time hanging out. I don't care what anyone says about Maryland, it has more character than crappy old Virginia.

    Depending on how you feel, we should hang out again soon. If you are up to it, come to our neck of the woods. If not, we can come over and demand more cake! (btw I am extremely disappointed in your ability to eat sugary food. I can remember many a night of chugging Check Cola and eating Reese Pieces by the BAG!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ryan:
    We are behind in the blog reading and are finding out how it works as we go. Thomas is allergic to computers, but tonight he read the blog and would like to talk about cars, he can relate and is dealing with trying to unload a driveway full of cars as they depreciate in value and he finds something new wrong with them everytime he drives them. He now has a Mercedes 300SD 1984; a Jetta VW 1999; and he recently bought a more dependable vehicle, a 2005 Scion XA, 4 door hatchback, just like the ones you have been looking at. Likes driving a newer car. Tom has discovered craigs list and has listed them there with good response.
    We love you guys.
    Tom and Fatima

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you're feeling better since the last post you left, Ryan. Little by little, day by day. It's nice that all of us can see each other's thought brought here. I'm sure you approve and like it. Otherwise, you wouldn't have started this blog. By the design of a blog, sadly to say, it looks like we can only assume our comments are approved and liked by you and Emily. It's not really a conversation. But it is the only connection I have right now and I soooo much appreciate that. I hear we get to see you and Emily soon. I'm making my plans ... ohboy ohboy ohboy!
    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete