Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Had a port put in and some lymph nodes excisionally biopsied

This is my first post, and it's going to be short and have no background information. Maybe that will come later.

I had outpatient surgery this morning at St. Agnes hospital. Dr. Somerville performed this surgery as well. He placed a port-a-cath (a "Power Port") on the left side of my chest, and while he was at it removed two cancerous (well, most likely) lymph nodes that were right there. Interestingly, I already had a huge scar in this exact place from my biopsy three years ago for the Hodgkin's Lymphoma. He went through the existing scar and said he'd "clean it up" so it would look better that it used to. Gotta love surgeons. This port is on the opposite side of my chest from the last one, which I had removed in November 2007.

I haven't actually looked at my chest yet and it's all covered in bandages, but it feels pretty normal (as normal as surgery can be I guess) and it should heal pretty fast. No stitches, just steristrips, so that's cool too.

I should be good to go to start chemotherapy in a week or so.

This coming week I am seeing one Dr. Diaz at John's Hopkins hospital for a consultation. On Wednesday I see Dr. Kasamon again, and unless Dr. Diaz and JH blow me out of the water, I am expecting to tell him that I'd like him (Dr. Kasamon, that is) to head up my treatment. I imagine we will then schedule a PET scan for later in the week and then start chemotherapy the following week. If I stay with Dr. Kasamon the first line treatment is going to be FOLFIRI+Bevacizumab (Avastin).

More later, perhaps.

5 comments:

  1. I'm the first to post a comment. Don't I feel special. I will let the family know about this site. Thank you for starting it. As always, I love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Please receive our love in union with Emily.
    Tom and Fatima

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great idea! Friends of ours did this last year. Although you don't pray, you will be in our prayers. Thanks for keeping everyone informed. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan,
    I'm using Candice's computer, but this is really your mommy. Will your homeowner's insurance cover any of the expense to repair the fascia? You sound so tired. You don't need to be worrying about the house. I'm glad you are rethinking being part of the study at John Hopkins. I don't like the idea of you taking a placebo either. You are not a lab rat. Holly and I are having a wonderful time with John and Candice.
    I love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a test after the 6th try. I will continue if this time works. Some things never change!!! Grandma

    ReplyDelete