Saturday, February 21, 2009

Last week

So it's been a bit since I've posted anything on here. This week was a decent week I suppose. I'm still not feeling totally normal.

Tuesday I went to work for like 7 hours I think. That was exciting.

Wednesday I had an appointment with Dr. Kasamon (more on that later), then went to work. I got to work around noon and nearly immediately felt tired. I left at 4:00, got home at 4:30 (and was still extremely tired), and passed out asleep basically until the next day.

Thursday I went to work (at like 2PM) and worked for 4.5 or so hours, didn't feel too bad... but a little tired by the end of it.

Friday I had a PET scan (no results yet), which was at 1:30PM and lasted until about 3:00PM. Then I ate some food I had brought with me (since you have to fast before a PET/CT I was rather hungry). I decided it was too late to bother going to work for just a couple of hours and came home. That was a good decision because I felt pretty terrible shortly before getting home. I went to bed at like 5:30 or so and slept for a couple of hours, then got up and felt decent later at night.

Today I am feeling pretty good so far.

One of the suggestions I had from the pharmacists at Johns Hopkins was to take colace and senna to "stimulate the bowels". I was using just colace mostly. I used colace and senna on Tuesday and Thursday night. I will say that it certainly opened my bowels up, but I think it upsets my stomach... a lot. I'm not going to take any senna anymore and see how things go naturally and hopefully I don't get the stomach pain I had been having.

A friend at work (Dave) astutely observed the mostly likely reason I have been so cold lately: I've lost a lot of weight. I weigh 153 pounds right now, which is about 30 pounds less than what I consider my "normal" weight.

As to the meeting with Dr. Kasamon, it went well. I will be using him as my primary physician for treatment. Unfortunately, the Columbia office where I see him doesn't have facilities for instant blood tests. If I wanted to be treated at the Columbia office I would have to come in (or go somewhere) the day before and have blood drawn and tested. That is a huge pain. So I will likely be going to the Tate Center, which is a big cancer center attached to Baltimore Washington Medical Center. Dr. Kasamon works out of there as well. They can do instant blood tests there. It's only about 3 miles farther away (but in the opposite direction as the Columbia office). My first treatment is Monday, March 2nd 2009. I have to go back on Wednesday to have my portable pump removed (which is also sort of annoying, but I guess chemotherapy isn't supposed to be a stroll in the park).

Emily and I are coming back to Florida from March 12th-March 15th. We're going to Gainesville this time to spent it with my family. We're hoping to come back again in the near future for the same set of days (Thursday-Sunday) and go to St. Augustine to visit all of Emily's family. Emily hasn't seen a lot of her family in a long while. I'm trying to conserve what leave I have so that I can take both of those "vacations", because after I'm out of leave I have to use this "leave bank" thing where I can still be paid even though I'm not working 40 hours a week (because of the treatment). Problem there is that I then have no leave for personal purposes, so I can't just take off a couple of days and visit Florida. *sigh* I'm sure we'll get it worked out though.

8 comments:

  1. He Ryan,
    I cannot be strong enough in saying that your post- op progress is probably within the "norm" considering what you have gone thru'. Your body is trying very hard to heal from surg. and you
    have a lymph system which is fighting it's own battle. Did you ever see the "Muppets Babies" tape on being sick and all the battles going on in their bodies with the lymphocytes fighting the bad cells and on and on. It does make you tired, and rest and sleep are what the body needs. Ask Emily about the tape......it was one of her favorites!!!!!
    Please don't beat yourself up.....you are doing GREAT!!!!!
    I'm so excited for you and Emily coming to visit your family. I wish we could all be closer. Prayers, Love, and HUGS to you both.....and to those "BAD" grandkitties!!!!!
    Love, Jill AND ADDIE!!!!!!
    Sorry I'm "anonymous" but I'm not quite sure of what to do.............where is Kenneth when I need him????!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mom - who needs Ken? ;) You should be able to post with your name if you choose the "Name/URL" option.. just leave the URL field blank.

    And yes! I loved that episode!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helloooooo!!! This is the third time I have tried this with failure after the first success.
    Be patient with your body--progress seems slow but when you look back from day one, you realize that you are gettting better. I can't believe that you are back to work at all. I have been wanting to ask you ---Is Patrick the kid we blew up the Fourth of July a few years ago????? What a bunch of Pyro's. I am so happy that you and Emily are coming home. Can't wait to see you two. I love you and keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  4. ok.....here goes!!!!! Jill

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in absolute hysterics reading everyone's progress at figuring this whole blog thing out... It's hilarious! It's made me learn, too:)

    Congrats, Jill:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Ryan,

    I'm so excited about your visit. Your room will be ready and waiting. There will be people sleeping everywhere, so you and Emily will appreciate having a quiet place to retreat, away from the insanity.

    As far as blogging skills are concerned, my mother figured out to get her picture up before I did. I'm impressed. I'm going to get Holly to help me.

    I'm not surprised that you have lost 35 pounds. I thought you looked thin before the surgery, and you've been through so much more since then. I took senna when I was pregnant. It worked great. Sorry it made you nauseous. Your stomach just refuses to cooperate, doesn't it? As always, I love you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am in TOTAL awe of your mother Karen! Picture!
    Are you kidding!!!! I don't have a Clue!
    Stop laughing Holly.......

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ryan,

    You do sound much better. This is what they call "Progress" no matter how small is good.
    It was great talking to you the other night. I have submitted your reservations to the Grady's Bed and Breakfast. You will be staying in the OAK bedroom "With the view". This is usually only reserved for our special guests. Unfortunately this time of year the Pool is shut down, but we do offer the Hot Tub at no extra charge. We have set up your transportation from the airport (sorry no limosine). The drivers name is John and he is very friendly (you don't have to tip him becasue he only works for Beer and fine Wine). Due to the time you will be arriving the kitchen will already be closed (too bad becasue the lady of the house is one hell of a cook), but we do offer some late night snacks if desired. Your car reservations have also been confirmed as per your request. The lady and man of the Inn will unfortunately have to go to work the next day so the usual great breakfast offered will have to be a continental breakfast (sorry, you are not eating much anyway).
    On another note, Candice and I are soooooo looking forward to meeting Emily. We are also glad you have made the decesion to stay the night so we can be selfish and have some quality time with just you and Emily even though it will be for a short evening.
    Well we are looking forward to seeing you guys and spending some time together. Keep writing because it sounds like everyone likes this Blog thing. Take care and we love you.

    PS: Hey Karen. Still don't have that picture up yet. Tom and Fatima even beat you on this one.

    ReplyDelete