Sunday, May 17, 2009

Another weekend gone by

So another weekend has come and gone. I just finished mowing the lawn, and hand clipping all the tall blades of grass since our old-fashioned push mower can't mow things that are too tall.

Instead of getting constipated from the chemo like normal, this time I had diarrhea. That wasn't any fun. Immodium seems to be taking care of it decently well though. I also have all sorts of weird bleeding problems, presumably from the Avastin. The doctors are aware of it though and well, it's just too bad because that's a side effect of treatment. It's not bad enough to alter it yet.

This week I'm going to a course taught by Todd Moon, author of an excellent book on Error Correcting Codes. This means I won't be going into the office at all, and it also means I have to get up early (at least earlier than normal for me). I think the class will be excellent and it's been a while since I've got my learn on, so I think it will be worth it. It's on an inconvenient off week for me though, since I have three doctors appointments this week. So I'll be happy if I can make 30/40 hours of the class.

It's been a pretty lazy weekend. Emily and I went and test drove the Nissan Cube (again, for me at least), then we went to the Stone Store and looked at fancy rocks, then we met Trevor in old-town Savage to eat at Ma's Kettle. Ma's Kettle was a cute quaint homecookin' BBQ place. We were going to go test drive a Honda Fit, but I felt tired so we didn't do that. Didn't feel good today, so we didn't do it again. Some day though.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's really great that you keep managing to get out on the weekends & do a little something. You did more "out & about" then I did this weekend:) I worked outside, too! Finished planting a whole heck of a lot of flowers. It really is looking so nice! I can't wait until next year after everything has settled in... We better have some freakin' awesome flowers next spring. Is the class you're doing something through work or did you just manage to find some really obscure course taught through community ed or something? I'm assuming it's through work since you aren't going into the office, but I just thought I'd check.

    Best of luck keeping the energy up for this class. I hope you learn something new & fascinatingly interesting (interesting to you at least, I would be bored to tears).

    Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ryan,

    I didn't even understand the title of the course. I assume though, it has something to do with computer codes, or maybe spy codes (that sounds more thrilling). I hope you enjoy it. I’m sure you will share the highlights with all of us. That way we can scratch our heads and go “Huh?”

    On Friday, a friend lent me a novel, and I am hooked. I spent the entire weekend reading. I managed to get out and spread some of the eternal pile of mulch, and lay some more paving stones. I even managed to get some boxes emptied or at least into the new shed. Whoo-Hooo, busy me. Of course, Holly and I had to make our weekly trip to Mecca (Lowes).

    What did you think of the Nissan? You know I'm a big fan of that make. Never heard of that model though.

    I’m sorry to hear there is a bleeding problem, but I’m glad you are keeping us informed. I suppose these things are to be expected, but as I’ve said before, it shouldn’t be happening to my baby. You’re more than half way through. Only four more to go. I’m hoping the treatment won’t need to be changed between now and then.

    You are always in my prayers and many others as well. Working in the Baptist Belt has created a huge network of prayer groups for you. My friends and co-workers are very loving and concerned. Yea, I know what you think of the whole God concept, but look at it from a scientific point of view. If there is energy in our thoughts and actions, and we create positive energy and direct it at a source, why couldn’t that have a positive effect? What do you think of that logic? Never mind. Don’t answer.

    As always, and in all ways, I love you.

    Drink Your Asparagus Juice,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete