Thursday, May 28, 2009

What a day

I felt pretty good this morning. The deck guys came out and starting building our deck too, which was super exciting! It's basically done except for the railings and the final footing inspection. They think they'll have it finished by tomorrow. It looks very nice thus far.

I went to get my port disconnected and return my portable pump at about 11:40. I was very much looking forward to a good turkey sub from Harris Teeter after this when I realized I left my wallet at home. Luckily I easily found $10 in quarters in my change bin in the car, so I paid in quarters.

While I was on my way to get the sub I noticed a little abdominal pain on my right side, right under the ribcage. I was hoping it was because I was hungry. I eventually got my sandwich and ate half of it, but the pain was worse.

By the time I made it home it was pretty excruciating. I decided that I had to go to the ER because I was afraid that I had appendicitis. I just barely made it, I should have called an ambulance. It was the most indescribable pain I've ever had. I called Emily and she met me at the ER. It took about 1.5 hours I think to get me into the back, get an IV started (for some reason they don't have the junk in the ER to use my port) and get me some pain killers (Delotid!). I just can't emphasize enough how painful this was.

Well eventually they got around to doing a CT with contrast to see if my appendix had exploded, which it hadn't. In fact, they have absolutely no explanation as to what the pain was. They said all looked well. Indeed, the pain has since passed. They basically just said go home, here's some painkillers, and here's some pepcid. Go see Dr. Somerville, too (with no explanation as to why). Annoyingly because Dr. Kasamon is not affiliated with St. Agnes they basically can't/won't talk to him.

I did get to not have surgery, which is great news. I wasn't looking forward to having a surgery, on top of the possible complications of it from being on Avastin (it affects the healing process of blood vessels).

I think next time something like this happens I'm going to go to Sinnai (which Dr. Kasamon is also not affiliated with, unfortunately) because it's closer and maybe slightly more competent than St. Agnes. Or if it's not too bad I can make it to Howard County or BWMC where Kasamon is in the loop.

Anyway, things seem to be okay now but good god if that's what a burst appendix feels like I hope I never have one.

And we'll have a deck tomorrow.

It's been a mixed day. Hah.

4 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan,
    Oh MY!!!! You certainly do have eventful days......I'm sooooo sorry about yesterday!!! Thank goodness the pain is gone........
    I don't want to minimize what you went thru', but I remeber my Dad had incredible pain, thought he was having a heart attack, was taken to the hospital, and it turned out to be GAS!!! The same thing happpened to me yrs. ago. I never felt such pain and it turned out to be the same.
    Sometimes a pocket of gas gets "stuck" and it causes excruciating pain......it eventually works it's way thru' your system. I certainly hope this is the case with you.
    If it happens again..be SURE to go to the hospital....you don't want to assume anything.
    So EXCITING about your new deck!!!! You'll have a whole new space to relax and enjoy beautiful MD days. Send pictures.......new furniture?????
    Lucky guys.you get to go to IKEA!!!!
    I pray you guys have an uneventful, easy, breezy weekend...........Love to you both, Jill-Mom
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxooooooooooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeese, are you CAPABLE of having a normal day???

    Mom said the porch is done:) I hope you like it! It sounded like it was coming along beautifully last time I talked to you! The perfect addition to your super-cute home:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ryan,

    My, my, you do seem to be on one hell of a roller coaster ride. These ups and downs must be driving you and Emily crazy. I hope what happened was just an excruciating gas attack. Considering what your intestinal tract has been through, it wouldn't be at all surprising. I wonder if the pain was more intense because of what you've been through? I hope you get more answers when you share this information with either Kasamon or Somerville.

    Thanks for the phone call last night. It is always wonderful to hear your voice. I know you are going to think this is pathetic, but I haven't erased any of your messages that you've left on my answering machine. I have over ten messages now. They all pretty much just say "Hi, this is Ryan, Bye.", but I keep them anyway. I think it's time to do some deleting.

    I'm very excited about your travel plans to St. Augustine. I hope all of our side of the family will be able to participate. Holly and I are still glad we are flying up in July, because we get you and Emily all to ourselves. We also love your home. It will be fun to sit on the deck and enjoy the view.

    I only have five more days with students and two days of post-planning. I can't believe it's almost over for another year.

    I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, everyone else pretty much said it "You dooooo have some very unique days"
    First of all, it would scare the hell out of me to have such pain (because I really can't remember having that kind of pain), but most of all it would scare me to never find out what was wrong.
    Hard to believe something as small as a pocket of gas could cause such pain, but I would believe anything when it comes to our body. Considering what you have gone through, I'm surprised this hasen't happened more before this.
    We sincerely hope you never have to go through that again (or any of us). I can't believe you had to wait 1.5 hours in the ER being in that kind of pain (I would have passed out on the floor in front of them and faked a siezure).
    I am happy to hear the deck is complete. You both must be enjoying it so. You timed it well with the nice weather coming up. I bet you guys now spent a lot of time out there. Candice and I live on the back patio area for most of Spring, Summer and Fall.
    We are sooooo looking forward to the get together in August. Great idea.
    Well heres to hoping your days have gone by uneventful (if that is possible for you).
    Enjoy the summer on your new deck. Send pictures in your next blog.
    You both continue taking care of each other.

    ReplyDelete