Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Ready for the disconnect

My pump should start to yell at me in about an hour and then at about 1:15 or so I imagine it will be empty. So I'm going to head out later and get disconnected! I'm going to treat myself to a turkey sandwich. I can't decide whether I want Quizno's or Harris Teeter. Quizno's is good because it's hot and I like the sauce they use on the Paremesan Turkey or whatever it is that I always order. But Harris Teeter has better bread and meat, I think. I wonder if they can shove the sub in a sandwhich press or something? Hah.

Anyway, regarding ODB-II readers: if you take your car to Auto-Zone I've heard that they will read the code from your car for free and provide you a printout of what it means and what you might need to fix it. The ODB-II readers are really only useful for a select number of things. Emily's car was having all sorts of poor performance issues, and it even totally stalled out once or twice. Finally, whatever it was caused the ECM to record a fault that I could read. It was an Idle Air Control Valve failure. A new IACV was like $160, but I researched some and figured out I could just remove it and clean it out with some throttle body cleaner and it would probably be fine, which it was. So that right there paid for the reader in and of itself. If I can fix this O2 thing, even better. But I guess you have to want to fiddle with repairs yourself. If I had a new car I wouldn't bother, but anything more than 5 years old, I bet it's probably worth it (like your Nissan SUV, John!).

Also, on Sunday we finally put together and stained this thing we bought from Ikea to use as a shoe chest. We had (have) this cheap metal thing that we had a million shoes piled on, and they were always falling off and stuff. We bought this thing from Ikea like 3 months ago and it's just been sitting there. So I said I was going to put it together and use it unstained if we didn't stain it this weekend, which we did. Turns out putting it together was far worse than I thought. We've bought lots of Ikea furniture, but this one was the worst. The instructions were absolutely awful, and the provided hardware for keeping it together wasn't cutting it. I ended up using about 8 wood screws to keep it together. I almost destroyed it, I got so angry trying to get it and keep it together. Finally I did though and the staining began. I have never stained anything before. It was pretty fun, though I didn't realize I should use a rag to clean up the excess stain, so it doesn't look as good as it might otherwise. But not too bad. The stain we picked fit in very well with the other stuff in our living room.



Also, Square D QO series breakers are really expensive. They have that market cornered. A 15A combination AFCI is like $40. I saw a 20A GFCI breaker that was like $55. I can buy an outlet for $15. Why is the breaker so much more? Either way I'm going to be getting some because it's more convenient.

3 comments:

  1. And yet again your last paragraph completely lost me....

    But beyond that, the piece of furniture looks GREAT! That stain definitely stepped it up a few notches! I feel for you putting it together, but what a nice finished product:)

    Yay for pump removal!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ryan,

    God, you kill me with your thought process. You are possibly the most uniquely intelligent person I know. I might be just a bit biased, but, so be it.

    Where do I begin in response to the last two emails??? Let's see. Car stuff.....blah, blah, blah. Got it. Now, electrical stuff .....blah, blah, blah. Got it. Chemo….. NOT blah, blah, blah. I don’t know what you are suffering, but I empathize…. Staining,… Finally! Something I understand. Good job. I have stained many pieces, and I still can't get it quite right. Assembling furniture.... Again, I understand. Usually I have pretty good luck with this. Sounds like you got a real piece of crap. Shame on Ikea.

    You only have four more treatments to go! I guess I’m being cavalier by saying “only”, but you’re past the half way mark, you aren’t in pain, and your hair is already growing back. Sounds damn good to me (I’ll take what I can get).

    I’m glad you’re still thinking about a car. You will definitely be in a state of mind to get one after the chemo is over. I know this, because I know this treatment is working. You are looking at YEARS of life. Go for it.

    Holly will be done with her classes in time for us to come for the weekend of July 11-12. We’ll probably arrive on the Thursday before, and leave on Monday, before your treatment.


    I love you, my big, geeky, adorable son.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan,
    Congrats. on putting together and finishing the furniture..looks GREAT!!!!
    Like your Mom and Holly, I'm lost with all the tech stuff.........you'd think I'd know "something".....having Ken for a son. You two are two peas in a pod.......it's SCARY!!!!! I need to send him up for a weekend so you two can be "geeky" together.........
    Cars hummmmmmmmm. Well, I have a trusty Honda, but Toyota and Nissan are all good. I saw a Hundai hatchback the other day and really liked it. They have an incredible warrenty.......I guess you have to test drive everything and see what feels good!!!!
    Hope you guys have a great weekend.........the yard is looking GOOD!!! Go Emily!!!!
    Love to you both, Jill-Mom XXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete