Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Sitting in bed after 6/12

Yesterday was treatment 6/12. That's the halfway point. I'm looking forward to the end. I slept more much of the day yesterday, but had an awful night's sleep. I'm not sure I ever really went to sleep. No specific complaints though, I just feel like shit. Hopefully I rebound a little faster this time than last.

We had an eventful weekend of working in the yard. Emily was very productive, as you can see at her blog. I mowed the yard finally and sowed some grass seed in a bare spot. I also put some retaining wall bricks in as a "temporary" measure since Emily thought they would look dumb. Now that they're in there I think her mind is changing somewhat, but I said we'd go check out the Stone Store one of these days and make sure that there isn't something she would more prefer to have there. We definitely need some nice thick brick edging around the garden though, because the reclaimed rocks from the ground don't do much of a job keeping out all this crazy creeping grass.

This morning I made a spreadsheet of Google docs of all the cars I would consider purchasing. It's basically every foreign-made hatchback there is, as far as I can tell. There aren't very many US made hatchbacks and the ones that do exist I'm not interested in. You can view the spreadsheet (read only) here. I'm pretty sure that after I finish all this chemo in late August I'm going to go buy a new car in September or October (assuming I get at least a temporary clean bill of health). My car's "Check Engine" light came on Sunday night on the way to get some Thai Food from Little Spice, which I would like to add is a very cozy place with excellent food (also as a side note, Google Map's directions were completely wrong). Anyway, I happen to have an ODB-II scanner so I could read why it came on. P0133 = Slow Response from Front Oxygen Sensor. Some research shows me that this is either a failing oxygen sensor or an exhaust leak somewhere. The recommend change interval on O2 sensors is 100,000 miles and I've got about 125,000. It's only $70 to buy a drop in replacement O2 sensor, so if the light comes back I'll do that first (I can clear the light too with the reader). I didn't realize at the time that I bought the reader that it wouldn't do real-time data acqisition (like this one), which would be nice because I could tell right away if the O2 sensor was in fact bad. Maybe I'll craigslist the one I have and upgrade. Though it seems a little silly given that I've used it about 4 times in 2 years now.

2 comments:

  1. HOOOORAY, The half way point has arrived.
    Sooooooo sorry it seems to be a difficult one.
    We believe you will rebound OK though. At least you were able to get some much needed yard work in before treatment.
    Some of the yard design work is just trial and error. You do something and it turns out great and then your next design just doesn't cut it.
    Candice and I usually have a little different idea and picture of what the final outcome should look like. Surprisinly, it usually looks good.
    I was wondering when you were going to get back into the car research again. I know there is no rush, but when your car has a mind of its own (that would be a computer), you just never know about its reliability. I think you are wise to continue your search.
    You are amazing with your analytical abilities. What basic person owns a ODB-2 scanner besides a car dianostic center or dealer (or Ryan). We never would have thought it to be useful, but then again when the lights come on, we take it to the dealer. We don't even change our own oil anymore. Although, it looks like having this scanner will pay off for you.
    Here is hoping you doooooo fell better as the week goes by. You might even get some work in this week.
    You guys continue to take care of each other. We love you.
    We send all our continued positive thinking, hope and faith your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my god, google maps was wrong?! A part of my world just shattered! I trust google WAY more than is healthy or safe or logical, but it has never steered me wrong!

    Wow! I want one of those car-light-reader-diagnostic-doohickey-things! Not that I would know what it was saying, but it would at least make me feel a bit more in control of the situation.

    I'm glad you got to get out & enjoy(?) the warmer weather you guys are having now. I don't know, maybe you don't like the yard work like I do, but I know you were ready for the cold to be over, so that can be celebrated:) It is getting SO HOT here! It looks like I may have to just start driving to work/school all the time now. I just can't do it. I'm admitting defeat. I can't bike all that way in the sun in the middle of the day. God, it just drains me. Good news, though! Santa Fe has a free gym for students! So no more trying to run in the heat, I have a treadmill now:)

    Love ya, hope the bed rest works some quick magic & you can be up & active sooner this time.

    P.S.- I'm lovin my music learning, but I'm already confused:)

    ReplyDelete