Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Still here!

I suspect some people are probably freaking out because I didn't post anything! Well I'm still here.

It went pretty well. I have 10ml or so of 5-FU left in my portable pump which I am going to have removed around 1:00pm today. I've found that the biggest side effects I have to deal with are constipation, which seems to sometimes be followed by a small bout of diarrhea, and some horrendous stomach acid reflux. I've got an appointment with Dr. Kasamon for next Wednesday so I am going to bring that up and ask for something prescription strength. Maalox and acid reducer tablets have their place, but this can be pretty uncomfortable. My netbook/laptop is both a blessing and a curse. I need to sleep more, but I spend tons of time playing on the interwebs in bed rather than sleeping. I almost feel like I'm back in college, with lots of free time to just go read stuff online and play with things. But I'm trying to make a more concerted effort to just put it down and sleep. I felt pretty crappy yesterday (not enough sleep, acid reflux) but today is good so far. Except I am freezing. I spent 2-3 hours on the toilet this morning and it sapped all the warmth out of me.

I am now 1/3 done with my treatment. I'm two cycles into the six cycle treatment (for some reason two doses is considered one cycle). That's pretty cool I suppose.

The bleeding from the stent stopped on Sunday night so that wasn't a big deal either, other than the somewhat severe discomfort it put me in.

We cleaned up our yard a bit last weekend. For some reason a lot of our grass is still brown and many people have green yards now. One of these days I want to just till it and put down a uniform coat of fescue or something. It's a patchwork of like 6 different kinds of grasses and grassy weeds now. Last year I let this hill get out of control with weeds because I was afraid of erosion. Not anymore, I weed whacked the whole thing down. I also let some plants and clover invade various parts of the yard last year because I either didn't feel like mowing or I thought it was pretty. That got to be crazy too, so not this year. The whole yard is staying mowed and free of plant creep.

I have to pay some medical bills today. For whatever reason I've just been putting off mailing them in. I owe Dr. Somerville $260, but I've only been billed for $230 (insurance lag). I guess I'll just send the $260 and save myself a stamp. There has also been a long running dispute with Patient First that I need to get sorted out. Having experience dealing with insurance companies in the past, I am fairly certain the insurance company is losing/misfiling/ignoring this paperwork that Patient First has sent twice now to enable a claim to be settled. Yay!

Also I bought a black and white laser printer (a Brother HL-5250DN, which was on sale at the time for like $150). I've always wanted a laser printer. They just print text so crisply. Now I will have to find things to print. I almost bought a color laser but just couldn't justify it. This printer can automatically print on both sides of the paper though ("duplex" printing). It's almost too exciting for me.

Anyway, I am now off to play more on the internet. I think today I will set up an asterisk server on Steven's virtual server and move my VoIP stuff in the house to point to it. More reliable than having the central server be at my house here.

6 comments:

  1. That last paragraph might as well have been written in Japanese for what I understood. I got "play more on the internet" & that was about it.

    Glad to know you still feel well enough to type technical gobbledygook:)

    Yeah for yard work!
    Not so yeah for constipation.... I can think of a good number of things I would rather be doing for 3 hours... But I bet that makes the diarrhea seem like a heaven sent! (Trying to find the silver lining :/ ???... Annoyingly optimistic, remember?)

    If you're reading this, put down the computer & get some sleep;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ryan,

    What was that last paragraph about? I agree with Holly. That was nothing but gobbledygook to me.

    So you're beside yourself with excitement about your printer. You are too cute for words. Only you would get such joy out of a printer.

    One big advantage of living in the woods is the fact that I don't have to worry about a lawn. I see how hard John and Mom work on their lawns, and I just snicker and do my happy dance. I like to putter outside, but lawns are not puttering. They’re an endless, thankless job.

    I'm glad the bleeding problem has stopped. Do you still feel pressure to urinate all the time? I'm sorry about the diarrhea-constipation battle. Your experiences with pooping have taught me to be grateful every time I successfully dooky (like my cute euphemism?) Amazing how such a simple thing, that we take so for granted, can become so important when it isn't working right.

    Good luck with the insurance company. It is a never ending problem. I got so disgusted when I was dealing with them during your last cancer and of course everything that kept sending your dad back to the hospital.

    You sound like you are on the mend again. It’s probably best that you wait until you are feeling better to write your blog. That way, we won’t panic and worry more than we worry already.

    I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. We don't freak out when you don't post. We love it when you do find the time and energy. Go with those prescription strength medications. You got to feel good some how. Taking a gooooood normal POOP is the best thing ever.
    1/3 done with chemo, Yeaaaaah!!!! You do seem to do a bit bettter or your body handles it better with every treatment.
    Glad to hear the stent has stopped bleeding but I side with Holly, bummer about not being able to bike. You do so much love that.
    Sounds like you did get some exercise out in the yard. That never ends. The weeds and Dollar weed will outlife and outlast the human race. The lawn is a never ending job, so it is a good thing I enjoy it. When it becomes a burden and no longer fulfilling, it will be Condo time (no yard). I guess living in the woods does have its advantages (Ok Karen, you can now do your happy dance).
    Should have went with the color laser printer. Who says you can't justify it. You can justify building another computer (and you do have plenty of those). Karen is right. Only you could get that excited about a printer.
    Your last paragraph???? Have the borg assimulated you?
    We would love you even if you were Borg.
    Tomorrow is TGIF or as Laurie would put it "Its Happy F#%&*@#% Friday (thought it would never come this week).
    You and Emily doooooo have a great weekend together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yipeee ... round 4 done! I do wish for your body to get back to normal quicker each time. I feel so much empathy for you on those Mondays when you get hooked up. It's always nice to read another post afterwards when you report your bodily state of affairs. Karen and I will be participating in Relay for Life in our separate towns starting tomorrow night. We'll have you in our hearts (again - of course).

    By the way ... I'll tell you something about John. He only loves to do yard work because by the time he gets out there he's already tanked up on the froo froo coffee with my homemade kahlua.

    VoIP stuff??? What the hell?

    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...it is my turn to speak!! Yes, John has a love/hate relationship with his yard. During his new work project, he has agreed to let me ride the "Deere". Hoorah! If I mow, he can trim...takes about the same time, then we can play! It is called manage your work time so you can play!! Yes, John manages an attitude adjustment before yard work some weekends. I will have y'all know, he can manage without the Kahlua...choke, choke... some weekends! Yard work...none for the "Happy Dance" lady! She sure does love looking at ours, as do we!
    On the note of whom this blog is about, Ryan... we love you and we love being able to share your life through your blog, and entertain you as well with ours! Soooo... tomorrow is Happy F*^%ing Friday to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love to you and Emily,
    Auntie c

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Ryan,
    I thought I was quite inadequate when I read your last paragraph, but I feel really good now that I know that no one else understood it either!
    Continue to feel good, get yard work done, and play with your printer.........saw Emily's pics .....good JOB photographer!!!!! I LOVE to see her riding again. Thank you for helping make it possible...Love YOU HUGS, me

    ReplyDelete