Sunday, April 19, 2009

Weekend

I slept a lot this week. I made it in to work for about 5 hours on Friday.

Emily and I had a long day on Saturday. We did all sorts of stuff. Emily took her car in to have some work done. A fellow from Frontier Deck Builders came out and gave us estimate on a deck as well. He's the third person we've seen thus far and I think I liked him the best. There's a fourth person that we're supposed to meet (from Fence and Deck Connection) but we've had some issues getting it scheduled. I'll try to get a meeting arranged for the next couple days but if not, we might just pull the trigger on one of the first three. Anyway, after that we went to Scittino's and had some excellent pizza. Then we went to downtown Catonsville and walked around. We went into some antique stores and generally explored. We had never bothered to do that before. There are some neat restaurant/deli type places we'll have to try and check out sometime. Then we picked Emily's car up.

Later on in the day we went out to see Addy's new farm. I had never been there before. It's huge and extremely nice. There were all sorts of people out there riding. I'm very glad she finally has a new home. I'm very happy about the change. Emily sure seems happier too. Then on the way home we went to Opie's and gorged on some soft serve.

We were both pretty exhausted after that day!

Today I didn't really get out of bed until about 2:00PM. Totally crazy. We vowed not to drive anywhere or go too far from the house, and we have thus far succeeded. We did finally organize the basement. I picked up some more wire shelves (I love those things!) and we consolidated a ton of empty boxes and what-not. Then we began planning to move and assemble the Smith press finally. I don't think we're going to be able to do it ourselves, we're going to need a third person. Also there's really only one spot I can put it, and I think one of the five basement lights is in the way. I don't really want to move it, but I will if I have to. It'll add another month to the timelime I'm sure because I'll never get around to actually doing it. I'll have to scope it out again some other time and see if I can squeeze it all in somehow.

The basement looks good though. I guess that counts as our spring cleaning!

5 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan,
    I just got around to commenting on your prior blog!!!!
    Sounds like you had a great weekend.........have a good "work" week. From the bottom of my heart Ryan, thank YOU for taking such good care of "my girls"!!!! Love, ME

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ryan,

    Addy finally has a new home. How great is that? Has she made any new friends? I know what a flirt she is. I'm assuming that Emily will be able to ride again. That would be so good for both of them.

    I'm glad you had a productive and restful weekend. That combination is hard to achieve. I hope you got enough rest on Sunday, because it's back to work for you. I thought about calling you Sunday, but something told me not to bother you. I must have sensed you were sleeping.

    I know getting all those estimates for the deck is a pain, but it will be worth it in the long run. Has there been a big discrepancy in the bids? That’s what frustrated me when I was trying to pick a contractor. The prices were sooo different. Everyone had their own idea about how to fix the house. I suppose a deck is a more straight forward procedure. I mean, there can only be so many ways to build one.

    Holly and I worked outside planting gardens, weeding, and pruning. It's starting to look so nice. Now that all the overgrown shrubs and trees are cut away from the house, there is so much potential for flowering plants. It's like having an empty canvas, and many colors to choose from.

    Our storage shed should have been finished at the end of March. It's still not done. This weekend, I donated TV's, electronics, pictures, appliances, and furniture to our school's Relay for Life fund raiser. It sure helped me get the storage trailer cleared out. There is very little left for me to move into the shed.

    Speaking of the Relay for Life, thank-you Mom, John, and Candice for your generous donations to help me reach and exceed my own goal. I’ll be walking next Friday.

    I was supposed to spend Sunday grading papers, but I watched the movie Australia instead. It was almost a three hour movie. So with the stops and starts, it took me almost four hours to get through it. Great movie, by the way. So I had a restful and productive (well, somewhat productive, cause my papers still aren’t graded) weekend too.

    Well, I’ve blown enough of my planning time here at school. I have to get down to work. I just got a Smart Board in my room on Friday, so I’m going to play around with it, and see if I can figure out how all the bells and whistles work. Technology is great, but learning how to use it is a pain.

    As Always, I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan,
    Check these guys out with the Better Business Bureau.............

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan,

    It sounds like you did quite a lot despite the much needed sleeping. I guess the deck Saga continues. Hopefully you do find the right contractor.
    Good advice from Jill, Check them out owith the better business Bureau (can never be too carefull these days).
    How did you manage Scittino's pizza and Opie's to gorge on some soft serve all in one day? Must be doing better.
    We don't know Addy, but it sounds like she is one lucky horse. I am also glad that Emily is happier and seems very pleased about the new farm. Our Animals (for us our children) depend sooooo much on us to love and take care of them.
    Glad to hear you have accomplished some Spring cleaning. Chip away at it a little at a time. Don't worry about the Smith machine. It will be there when you are ready. Maybe then you will have thought of the perfect spot.
    Hopefully you have saved enough energy for the work week and it is a productive one for you.
    You guys continue to take such good care of one another.
    We love you and continue to think nothing but positive thoughts for both of you.
    You and Emily have a good week together.

    ReplyDelete