Sunday, April 12, 2009

Went for a bike ride

I went for a bike ride, even though it's only 54 degrees outside. It wasn't too bad, the cold. It sure would have been nicer if it were warmer. I did about 8 miles at an average speed on 13mph and an average cadence of 75. Not stellar by any means, but I wasn't completely exhausted by the time I was done, so that's good.

I forgot my water for one thing, though it was so cold I didn't even sweat and didn't really need any for such a short ride. The worst part though was this constant feeling that I had to pee. Turns out I aggravated my stent. I was warned that this can happen. I have this amazingly uncomfortable sensation of having to pee, though I don't. And when I do there is an unhealthy tinge of blood to it. I'm not worried about it since I've seen that before and was warned about it (the stent can sort of knock around inside and scratch blood vessels, so you get some blood in your urine).

But I think it does mean that I will not be doing any more bike riding until that stent is gone. Oh well. I need to call Dr. Fenig again soon. He was going to call me after conferring with Dr. Kasamon about things, but never did. This is typical doctor behavior ;) He wants to change it out in May last I heard. I want to wait until I've had my mid-chemo PET/CT and have the results. I am of course hopeful that they will be positive. Then Dr. Fenig can go in, take the stent out, poke around, take whatever biopsies he wants, examine the situation again, and hopefully determine that indeed I don't need a stent anymore at all. That would be good.

Also, last Tuesday I saw my cousin Heather (from my dad's side of family). That was nice, I haven't seen her in a while. We didn't have long to hang out, but she, Emily, and I ate some dinner out and she spent her last night here.

4 comments:

  1. That's so wonderful you went on the bike ride. You must feel great! Exercise like that will help you sleep, but you certainly don't want to jeopardize that stent.

    That was pretty cool Heather got to visit you guys on her Spring break. She's the other teacher in the family.

    Good luck tomorrow and bring your notebook so you can break the boredom and make funny faces on the webcam for us. Love you!

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Ryan,

    Too bad the bike riding didn't work out. I know how much you enjoy it. That damn stent!

    Heather said nothing about coming up to visit you. Was it a surprise? I'm glad she saw you. It's nice to know someone, on your father's side of the family, is involved. Your Uncle Bob also asks about you often. I know he reads your blog.

    I hope your chemo went well today. I checked your blog looking for pictures and more loopy words of wisdom. Oh well. I guess I'll have to go back and look at the ice cream and cats again.
    As always...

    I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan,
    Oompa Loompa doom-pa-dee-do........hope you survived the Easter Bunny!!!!
    Trusting your chemo went well and you're having a GOOD SLEEP!!!!!
    Am looking forward to some GREAT pizza!!!!!
    AND ICE CREAM!!!!!
    Pray this chemo follows the same pattern as the last 2.
    Give EVERYONE a squeeze for me!!!! Love you,ME

    ReplyDelete
  4. ERG! I am so ticked that you can't ride your bike! I know that's an odd thing of all things thus far to get annoyed about, but I'm irked nonetheless. Well, May isn't too far away. I'm sure everything will be fine & you can get that damn stent out. Then you can enjoy(?) some exercise!!! How bout a slow run/jog instead? I only move at 10 minute miles but I still feel like I get a great workout. If you can bike I would think you could maybe do a short light run????

    Glad you got to see Heather. I find her to be a hoot;)

    Ah, 54 degrees, I am so envious....
    And I'm not just saying that, I really am envious.

    ReplyDelete