Sunday, June 21, 2009

Did a bunch of junk outside

*phew* I'm pooped out after working outside. After I finally got out of bed around 10:00AM I spent about3 hours working on a programming project (that I'm doing for fun; a budgeting application). That project is coming along very well actually. I can and have already used it to analyze my spending in the way that I want to.

After that I went outside. Got out the weed whacker and trimmed up all the hedges and knocked some crazy weeds in our "no go" areas. After that I got out my new wet/dry shop vac and emptied both Emily and my cars and vacuumed them out. Probably got a few pounds of sand out! They were both pretty dirty. After that I mowed the lawn and now it looks pretty and nice (nicest yard in the neighborhood! We are keeping up with the Jones'). After that I spread some of this "seed" which is actually insecticide. I put it in all the gardens (except Emily's new hill one, because I forgot about it until just now) and all around the base of the house and deck. Hopefully it rains (it has been pretty regularly) and gets it all soaked in and nukes those ants and whatever other baddies are in there. I got it all over me too, I'm sure that's healthy (not that I don't have things more important than that to worry about!).

Then I finally started the job of finishing replacing/burying all of the gutter downspout pipes. I need to dig a 16' x 7" ish sized trench for one. I didn't do that. But I did measure it and cut the huge roll of pipe that's been in my basement for a year down to size and put it out there, above ground. I got to replace some older yucky stuff that way there too. I took the extra pipe I had and put it on the back of the house downspout and ran it a good way down the hill. I doubt I'll ever bury that one, though it sort of annoying to walk over. Maybe someday.

After that I finished it all off by actually attaching a screw/hook to the outside of the deck to properly-ish suspend the defunct telephone wire (I ought to just cut the thing) and our cable modem incoming wire. They've basically been hanging on the ground since the deck went in. Got the screw in, managed to get the wires back up to deck level, attached guy wire to screw, routed the wires under the deck, and properly put a drip loop on each of them prior to the service entrance to the house.

I will relate something that I thought was hilarious. Last time I was at Lowe's in Catonsville here, I was buying a Sqaure D QO series 20 amp GFCI breaker because I am going to be adding some outlets to my basement. Of course this is against the law because I'm not going to pull permits for it, since only real electricians are allowed to do this in Baltimore county. Well, I sure felt good about my knowledge. There were these two guys there, I'll say they were from the country (if you catch my drift). They have a Lowe's guy there, and the Lowe's guy is on the phone (presumably to another Lowe's guy) and they're talking about what the guys have in their hand. They have a 100 amp subpanel breaker box, empty, and some breakers. They had absolutely no idea how to wire it up. And they were installed a subpanel somewhere. They were taking the advice of a Lowe's person on the phone to understand how the grounding, neutral, and hot bus bars worked. Wow. No wonder county codes and code enforcement exists. I'll probably read about the dying a fiery death in their sleep in the not to distant future.

I knocked the crap out of my head when I was in the basement looking at some stuff, the very corner is sort of stupidly laid out with a bunch of house stuff and then the weight machine ("the Borg cube"). I was crouched over trying to look at something for some random reason and as usual came up real fast and went about moving to somewhere else really fast. Well I came up and put my head right into the side of the weight bar. I got a nasty gash on right over my right eyebrow, missed my eye by about an inch. I made quite a racket about it, but Emily didn't know where I was so she was running around outside and what-not trying to find me. It'll be alright though.

Ewww! Blood!


I haven't been terribly hungry the past few days for some reason. I did all that on a granola bar and a muffin (a good Red Canoe muffin!) for breakfast. I finally came in and ate (lunch?) at about 5:30PM, which was the other half of my (actually, Emily's, but she gave it to me) panini from yesterday. Now I'm not hungry again. Not tired either, surprisingly. I need to go shower and get the funk off of me.

3 comments:

  1. I was tired just reading about all the stuff you did! How were you not tired? Well, I bet you slept great last night! I do not believe I have vacuumed my car since it became "my car". And you thought your car was dirty!

    I laughed at the Lowes story & I have to admit, I laughed at the eye story, too... Not at first! My own head throbbed when you described how it happened, but then you went on about how you were making a racket but Emily didn't know where you were & she's running around.... Oh god, I'm so ashamed of myself, but I'm giggling even now as I write this. Seriously Ryan, you are a very witty writer. You turned an awful incident into a funny story!

    Hope your eye feels better, appetite returns & sleep resumes! LOVE YA!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holly - I don't know if you'll read back through the comments and thus catch this one.. but I *love* reading your comments. I can totally hear you laughing and that brings a huge smile to my face.

    I can't wait for you and my Other Mother to come up! :) It's going to be great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TeeHeeteeheeteehee,
    I can't wait either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    And if there' time.... Could you introduce me to knitting when I'm there? I feel like it's something crafty people are just expected to know.

    Huh, can you tell that all the Grady ladies are at the beach cabin? There's nobody to post comments anymore! They'll have quite a bit to catch up on when they return.... :)

    ReplyDelete