Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The venerable Honda Fit

First thing's first: I felt awful yesterday, I couldn't get any sleep at all Sunday night. Don't know what the reason was. I had a hard time falling asleep last night too and finally resorted to some Ativan. Hopefully I don't feel the need for that tonight (I've felt pretty good all day).

Didn't get what I was planning/hoping to do done at work because I got sidetracked on another problem that turned out to a lot more frustrating than I had initially suspected. I think I mostly solved it by the end of the day though, luckily. Hopefully on to my ever growing to-do list tomorrow.

Tonight Emily and I test drove a Honda Fit. She was grumpy because she had a bad day and I said I would be home early so we could eat and test drive and get home at a good hour, and I was not home early. We went anyway though. Anyway, it was at O'Donnell Honda on Rt. 40 in Ellicott City. The salesman was super friendly. I only had to mention once that I wasn't going to be buying a car that day and that I was already fairly familiar with the Fit. He didn't persist with anything after that, and actually just gave me the keys and told me to have a good time, basically. He didn't come along for the ride.

Anyway, the car certainly didn't have the same build quality as the VW, but it costs $7,000 less, so who would expect it to? It was quieter than my Saturn, and the steering was more responsive (though given my driving style from the Saturn, Emily said it was a bit "twitchy" as I was all over the place). I did get it settled down a bit after a few miles though. The car is very utilitarian too. It can hold 56 cubic feet of cargo, and the rear seats are engineered very cleverly to both fold flat with no effort, and the front of the seats can come up, leaving a deep cavity to fit tall things (i.e. a bike or two). Very very clever.

I'm still going to test drive a Mazda 3 and a VW GTI, which are both priced pretty similarly (i.e. $3,000+ more than the Fit) and are more sporty than the Fit. But that Fit can give a lot of stuff a run for the money. Very well priced, excellent gas mileage, and excellent utility.

Sigh, the choices are so tough!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ryan,
    GOOD ole utilitarian Honda!!!!
    That's JUST it..LOVE mine!
    I hope sleep is getting easier for you.NOTHING worse than not being able to nod off.
    Hope you both have a fabulous Thurs!!!!
    Much Love to you both.............Jill-Mom
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  2. SATURN AURA. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I seriously can't post much over the past few posts. I really know nothing about cars. Beyond telling the difference between, say, a car & truck, there's really nothing more I can do. I have full confidence, however, that you will make the right choice after all your research! Best of luck:)

    ReplyDelete