Sunday, June 28, 2009

Another week gone by

So it's been nearly a week since the last post. Like I said in the last one, the chemo went better, as in I didn't feel as bad. But I've had some crazy side effects (or just unlucky problems) this week. I couldn't sleep at all on Monday, literally. And I've had some crazy constipation and hemorrhoid-like problems as well. And lots of stomach acid. I have some other prescriptions now that help greatly with the stomach acid and apparently sleeping too. There's this somewhat new drug called Rozarem which is supposedly completely non-addictive (i.e. unlike every other sleeping medication in existence). I took it Tuesday night I think? I slept like a baby, but was totally groggy for basically the whole next day. I haven't needed it again yet though. It's possible the Decadron I get during chemo is what is keeping me up or it could be something else totally unrelated.

I worked out yesterday, first time in quite a while. I was exhausted afterward and took a nap. I mowed the lawn too. Later in the day we trekked down to Alexandria and met up with Pat and Minh Chau. They moved into a new place which we went to go see. It was nice. Their three cats are adorable. I am going to catnap them. We went to old town Alexandria and had a totally surreal experience. I wanted pizza so we found this one pizza place but it didn't look super awesome so we walked like 7 blocks back to where we started and went to an Indian place because naan and curry sounded awesome. So we went in and sat down. And we sat, for a long time. No food ever came. Sometimes we would get a drink refill maybe. After like 40 minutes two plates (there were four of us) were delivered, but no food. So we sat some more. Eventually Minh Chau took charge and we just left after wasting about an hour. There were at least three people who had been there longer than us that also had no food. Their chef must have had a seizure or something, but it would have been nice for them to share that information with us. I was still in a good mood, miraculously, despite being hungry. So we had a good hilarious laugh about the situation. Then I got cranky. We went to Dairy Godmother which is a neat creamery type place in Alexandria (I think that's where we were at least) and I got a shake, but I needed actual food. After that we went to a different Indian place, which is actually on the first floor of the apartment they used to live at. It was excellent. It was apparently Emily's first time ever having Indian food and she liked it as well. I'm pretty sure it was actually good food, but I would have eaten anything by that point in time. It was fun hanging out with Pat and Minh Chau. We really need to do it more often; too bad it's at least a one hour one-way drive :(

Today we might have a BBQ with Trevor.

Tuesday I am having my stent removed. I'm a bit apprehensive about it as there is no anesthesia involved, but I'm told by several doctors who have presumably never had anything 30cm long removed through their urethra that it is not painful and is a routine procedure.

I am looking forward to biking again and hopefully even going for another camp/hike excursion or two before winter sets in again.

Other than that I am planning to have a nice quiet week at work. We get Friday off for the 4th. We might go into DC for the 4th. The fireworks are nice, but that's about it. I just feel like there is something a wee bit special about being in "our nation's capital" for Independence Day.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Ryan,

    I have not had access to a computer since the 17th. It took me five entries to catch up, starting with the Honda Fit. Thanks for calling me today. It was nice to talk. Did you do anything with Trevor, or did you tackle the workbench project?

    You have been keeping yourself very busy. I'm so proud of how you keep on going, even though you have every excuse not to. I believe it is one of the reasons that your treatment is working. You refuse to allow anything other than success. However, it sounds like you have had your share of problems as well. It must be very frustrating for you, but you don't let the set backs stop you.

    I'm glad you found something to take for the insomnia. I'm also glad the new cocktail is less "invasive" to your system. Great news about the stent coming out. I have to agree with you about the doctor's perspective concerning its removal. I hope they are right about it being a routine procedure and "not painful". Let us know if they were correct.

    Enjoy your 4th of July holiday. It will probably be a mad house in our capital city, but you've done it before, so you know what you're in for.

    I had a great vacation at the cottage. Many happy Goddess moments were shared by all. I'm also glad to be home. I feel disoriented from too much play time. I need to get back into some routine. I have lots of house projects to complete. You shame me into getting them done. So I guess I'll buckle down and be productive (staring tomorrow).

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do have an amazing energy level for all you are going through. An ispiration for all.
    Bummer about the first Indian food place, but it sounds like all worked out well after all. Sounds like you had a pretty good time down in Alexandria. Good for guys to get away together.
    I can't remember the last time we had Indian food.
    Sounds like your sleep cycle is back on track. I seldom ever have problems sleeping (guess I should consider myself lucky).
    I don't think there is any sleep agent type drug out there that is non-addictive.
    Friday is also a Holiday for me (Love those Government benefits). Of course Candice has the Summer off so she is on holiday till August, but she does work hard for it.
    I haven't had a 3 day weekend off for a while. Seems I always get stuck with the weekend work for holiday weekends (because I'm the new guy still). We will enjoy this one.
    Great news hearing you are going to get that stent out. Hope it is painless. This should free you up to start your biking once more (I know you have missed it).
    Hope your work week goes well. You and Emily enjoy this 3 day weekend and the fireworks (and we do know about fireworks, right Patrick).
    Love you both.
    Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah ... the stent is coming out!!! Biking should be real fun soon after you get it out. I thought of you while biking the canopy road on Manasota Key last week. That was pretty cool. One year ago I was afraid to do that.

    I hope the latest mixed cocktail in your treaments will actually turn out to be less invasive. The less drugs the better. You seem like you have become much more in tune with the workings of your body. I'm proud of you for that. It takes a lot of attention.

    I assumed you worked out on the big monster machine. Don't overdo it, Ryan.

    Oh ... by the way ... I've been playing my guitar more than ever and really enjoying it. I've been inspired in many ways. One inspiration comes from teaching 15 guitar lessons to a talented 10 year old. Yesterday I found a website called EHow.com (used to be expertvillage.com) for lessons on anything you desire. I started looking at some bass guitar lessons on video and of course thought of you. Any desire to play lately?

    August 7 can't come soon enough for all of us to see each other again. Enjoy your holiday weekend!

    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I have some great fireworks memories. Nothing like having a bottle rocket pass through your shirt but completely miss any flesh! I think I got a sweet Harley shirt out of that. Definitely a good day.

    Also, cranky Ryan is adorable.

    ReplyDelete