Thursday, June 11, 2009

I test drove a car

So Emily and I just finished eating dinner after an outing to test drive a Volkswagen Jetta SportWagen TDI.

Wow, it was a nice car. I totally did in my car search by driving such a nice car this early on. Now nothing else is going to compare, methinks.

I wanted to test drive the 2-door Rabbit as well, but they did not have any. Apparently they haven't even been able to buy them from VW for most of the year.

The SportWagen looks amazing (probably the nicest looking hatchback/wagon I've seen) and definitely feels like it has quite a bit of build quality to it. Certainly felt like a safe and well put together vehicle.

The "TDI" portion basically means it's a diesel engine. They hadn't been able to sell diesels in the U.S. since 2006 when some sort of emissions laws changed. So those Germans went back to the hinterland and toiled away until they came up with an even better engine that meets all 50 states' emissions requirements, and gets >40 miles per gallon highway moving a big wagon like that.

The engine has a lot of torque, and certainly more horsepower than my Saturn. I turned out into traffic for the first time and startled myself with the power. It was very nice. It was also very quiet and controlled on the interstate at 70MPH, which was also a very nice change of circumstance from my loud old Saturn ;)

I drove the "automated manual", which is Volkswagen's DSG manual transmission with "tiptronic" shifting, which is some fancy Porsche automatic transmission. Basically it's an extremely clever transmission system which has the ability to just shift automatically, but you can put it in manual override where you control the gear changes, though without a clutch (the cluch is automated)... so it's kind of like an F1 "flappy paddle" transmission, except you use the gear shifter to do the shifts rather than paddles on the steering wheel.

It was nice, but for $1,100 I think I could learn to drive a manual. Especially if we follow through on plans to move to the U.K.; they just don't seem to drive automatics over there on that other continent. So knowing how to drive a manual will be a very valuable skill.

The car I drove today had a sticker price of like $25,600... which I think is frankly crazy. And I'm still considering purchasing it. They are very hard to come by. They had two for sale, one manual and the one I drove. He said they are getting 4 more, he thinks, in the next couple of months and that's going to be it for the 2009 models. I liked the one I drove today, but I just wish it were a manual. The manual they have is an ugly black color (it has some chrome trim, which the grey one I drove had too, but it just looked gaudy and too contrasting on the black). Unfortunately with basically all of the cars on my list, beggars can't be choosers. They all seem to be in limited supply, this one just especially so.

Emily really liked it too. Looks like we'll have to do some sleeping on this one.

7 comments:

  1. you certainly must have your mind on food and cars. I think any new car you drive is going to feel great compared to your car. Sorry, I didn't mean to insult your car but been there-done that. Have fun with your food and test driving. You can afford to gain some weight.

    Love Yu, Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesh, I miss a few days checking in & there's a dozen posts to catch up on!!!! From a quick glance, I would say you're thinking about food???.........

    Ok, I'm gonna go read everything now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ryan,
    That's sooooo COOL!!!!! Just make SURE you check out the Jetta.......a couple of friends had one and it was nothing but trouble. Of course they were not deisel and it was a few years ago. I know you will do your research!!!!!!
    I'm VERY excited for you both!!!!!!!
    Your blog is full of excitement and FUN!!!!
    Hope you EAT WELL this weekend, and totally have a good time car hunting.
    Love to you both, Mom-Jill XXXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOO
    I'm having trees trimmed today..NOISY. I have a HUGH bay tree which is all but coming down. I hate lossing trees, but all the bay trees in the area are either dead or dying. The tree guy said this is the biggest one he's ever seen and it goes under the porch!!!!! It's a SAD day for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Ryan,

    I wish I had known about the phone plan that goes to an email server. When I was trying to pick a place for the family gathering in St. Augustine, I had to give my phone # to several realtors. I'm still getting phone calls!

    SOOOO happy to hear the stent is going away soon. Too bad you're still dealing with lengthy chemo treatments. I'd hoped that you would go to the oral medication right away.

    Be careful of Jettas. Jill was right about their bad rep. Do some research.

    What do you mean about the Saturn being noisy? I've never driven a quieter car, especially when Holly and I were up there.

    I've never heard of tiptronic transmissions. It just sounds like something else that can go wrong. As far as buying a manual, in order to learn to drive one, for when you go to the UK... Don't. You'll figure it out quickly. Even I got the hang of it fast. Manuals are annoying as hell, especially in stop and go traffic. You keep looking at new cars. Why? If you don't want to spend $24,000, minimum, then think about a used car. I know I've said this before, so just say "Shut-Up." I had to say it again.

    You and your restaurants! I love it. Have you ever considered a career as a food critic? You obviously take your dining seriously. I enjoy your reviews.

    I'm lov'n my vacation. I'll be leaving for the cabin in Englewood on the 18th. I'm going to be there for almost two weeks. It's a Goddess Gathering. Too bad Emily can't join us. She is a lovely Goddess. Tell her she needs to think of a Goddess persona/nomenclature. Holly is Equestria, because she loves horses. I'm Terestria, because I love the earth. I think Laurie is Luna, because she loves the night sky. Maybe Emily could be Endura because she has endured so much, and is ready for whatever will come in the future. She is a deceptively tough woman.

    I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Ryan,
    Kenneth said if you by the Jetta he'll buy it from you when you go to UK!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck with the car search. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well??? Are you going to buy it? Jacques said two of his nieces in New England area have had Jettas and like them very much. If you hold off long enough the salesman might give you a better deal, but not if they are a hot item right now. Good luck.

    It was really nice talking to you on the phone the other day, Ryan. I'm bringing my laptop to the Englewood Beach so Karen and I can do a little reading and a little posting on this blog while we're there at the Goddess Gathering 2009. We'll miss you Emily and Holly!
    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete