Monday, March 30, 2009

Getting some chemo

I'm sitting here on COHA Columbia getting my chemo started. My first drip was IV Lorazepam (Ativan) and benadryl. Holly's neurotic old cat Spooky was on Lorazepam, which I find humorous. It makes you sleepy and generally affects your mood. It also has antiemetic properties. It will probably take my mind off of what's going on and eventually make me go to sleep, which is great.

Also I remembered a word which was obviously escaping me in the last post: barber.

My fancy little netbook (thanks guys for chipping in and buying me a new toy!) has a webcam where I have taken a picture right before the drips started.


I still look pretty happy there! I am definitely getting loopy fast though. Feels like the world is slowing down a bit around me. Like if I look around quickly it seems like my visual sense can't quite keep up, there's a sort of 3 dimensional echo, like my eyes aren't communicating at the proper rate to my brain. Hopefully the treatment goes well. I'm still just getting all the drugs to get me ready for the "real ones" at the moment.

I like all of the nurses that I have encountered so far. They are all very good. I'm pleased with my overall care as well. I know my mom thinks I'm getting terrible care for whatever reason, but it's not true. Dr. Somerville was a good surgeon. I didn't have any surgical related mishaps on either side. He has different priorities though and I can respect that. He cuts people. Blood is for someone else. Dr. Kasamon has been extremely excellent. All of my appointments with him last twice as long as they are supposed to and throw off all of his schedules. He'll talk with me as long as I like about all the various factors going into his decisions and my health. Often when one has a repeating doctor visit you sort of begin to dread it because it's the same questions every time and it takes 5 minutes and you just wasted half your day for the appointment. I certainly come out with a substantial plate of knowledge to chew on generally from him.

7 comments:

  1. Isn't technology great! You can webcam us from the chemo chair! Hope your treatment went well. Maybe you will feel like a big pizza tomorrow! Me, I am always fascinated by food! I also love the new look. You are very handsome without hair. Not that your weren't with it! Looks good and be thankful you have a nice shaped head, cuz there are some odd shaped ones out there! We love you and hope you recover fast from this treatment. Also, I am sending you something in your e-mail to read about healing by eating asparagus. Sounds interesting and it will make your pee stink!
    Cya,
    Auntie C and Uncle John

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan,
    I AGREE with everyone.......I LOVE your new look!!!!! And THANK GOD you have a great shaped head!!!!! Like your Aunt and Uncle said, there are some pretty silly heads out there.
    So COOL about your webcam........you DO look rather happy! I told Emily I love the blue beanie and she will probably get "requests" from fellow chemo buddies........
    I'm sure you are resting now, so when you wake up, feel good........love you, Jill-Mo
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxoooooooooooooooooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha! SPOOKY! God, that was one kick ass cat. I know I'm the only one who thought so, but he DID make for some pretty crazy stories:)

    I felt like I was getting loopy/drowsy just reading your post! ("3 dimensional echo".... Whoa.) Maybe it's just because I'm tired? Anyway, thanks for thinking to write while "in the process," I found it entertaining:)

    Sleep well & recoup fast so you can enjoy a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We hope you recoup fast from it.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ryan,

    I don't check the blog for a weekend, and all kinds of stuff happens! Funny how everyone in the family has been to Lowes in the last week. Holly and I were there, in the garden section, last weekend. The spring weather has definitely inspired us. Long lines at our Lowes as well.

    I agree with everyone about the new look. Very groomed. I like Holly’s word “Edgy”. Your lovely silky hair will make some woman very happy. I’ll bet Emily misses your hair a little. Your beard looks sooo much better now. I actually like it, and you know I was no fan of it before.

    I love the chemo webcam picture. You look like you’re feeling no pain. Sounds like you were feeling pretty “trippy” “Trails man, I see trails. Far out!” All the pictures were wonderful. It helps me to feel closer to you.

    I’m over my feelings of mistrust with your doctors. We discussed it while you were here, and I realized I was overreacting. You are my baby, and no one is going to be able to do everything I want and expect. I wanted you to be free of pain and healthy. Looks like the first part has happened. Now I’m waiting for the second part.

    I’m so glad to hear you had a productive weekend. It made me even happier that you did not say it tired you out. I like what you said about putting holes in the walls, because you are going to be there for awhile. You are thinking long term, and that is a very healthy sign.

    I thoroughly enjoyed all the blog entries. It was very entertaining. I noticed Jill said Addy wasn’t at her new home yet. What’s up with that? Thanks for calling Holly and I this weekend. You know what a fiasco that turned out to be, so there is no need to go into that here. I love you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Ryan,

    Someone sent me this quote. I thought you might like it.
    “Life isn’t about waiting for the storm to pass,
    it’s about learning to dance in the rain.”

    I Love You,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  7. How's my handsome nephew??? Hope you're feeling better. I'm just so happy to see you're smiling face! Keep up the wonderful positive vibes. We love you very much!
    Love, Laurie
    P.S. You know everybody had a hey day over your misspelled word while you were 'loopy' on your cat meds.

    ReplyDelete