Thursday, March 5, 2009

Unfortunately it's not good news

Things are not good with my bowels. I think there is a blockage somewhere in my GI tract. Last Thursday I resorted to quite an array of oral laxatives to try and "get things moving" after about 5 or 6 days without a bowel movement. It eventually succeeded. Then another 6 days went by until last night rolled around without a bowel movement again. Oral laxatives did not do the trick this time. So we resorted to an enema, which had some effect but not what you would expect for 6 days without a poo. I have been pretty miserable from this because it makes me very not hungry, sick to my stomach, and sometimes creates this pain down in my abdomen. Emily and very worried. She and I are going to get into a fight or something over this I think. I know she is very worried about me and she thinks I'm being stubborn. I don't want to go to the ER, but she thinks I should have gone last night I think. I am waiting for Dr. Kasamon and Dr. Somerville to return phone calls that I placed to them. I am hoping Dr. Somerville (who I imagine will be the final word in this) has some ideas to try and get things moving "naturally" because surgical unimpaction is the next option I think, and I really don't want any more surgery. Furthermore I hope this gets resolved before next week because Emily and I have non-refundable tickets to Florida. *sigh*

I don't know if it's trailing effects from the chemo or just my general unhappiness over things, but I have been sleeping like crazy. I didn't go to work today and have basically slept all day. I hope to go tomorrow but I really don't want to if my stomach is messed up. Yesterday I had a fig bar and some granola, and today I've had a bagel with some cheese, an apricot, and a banana. I hope to have some soup for dinner.

I just wish I could sit on the toilet and poop like a normal person. I think that would make me a happy person.

I also want to toss out that I'm very happy to have Emily with me up here. She really cares about me and feels helpless seeing me in the state I am (I'm helpless too!). I love her and hopefully we can go out and do something fun in the near future.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ryan,
    I hope you got to talk to one or more of the Drs.
    I am so very sorry that you are going thru' such a terrible time! I know you will both get thru' this stage, and I also know how frustrating it can be for both of you. Remember, YOU are paying the Drs. to take care of you....so BE the squeeky wheel, even though it may not be the person you want to be.
    As far as your plane tickets, call them and if you have to reschedule, most likely they will when you explain you are going thru' chemo. If it's Southwest, they will most likely work with you if need be.
    I just wish I had some magic potion to help you!
    Try to keep your spirits up, both of you........
    it's easy for me to say, I know.
    I love you both so much and it just makes me feel awful that you have to go thru' all this pain. Please know I can come up there in a heartbeat if need be.
    Love to you both, Mom XXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete