Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Pump is almost empty

I am waiting around for my pump to empty out. It has a couple of hours left. After I have it removed I'm coming home and taking a shower which I think I will very much enjoy.

The irinotecan that I had on Monday I think was by far the worst of the drugs so far. The 5-FU which I've been getting over the last 48 hours doesn't seem to be doing too much to me yet other than perhaps making me tired. My biggest complaint is that my stomach is weird, which is a complaint that I have had for quite some time. I think my bowels are still not normal. I imagine it is hard for them to get normal when I'm constantly taking pills that either cause constipation or diarrhea and vice-versa. Right now I think things are bound up and I need to get that fixed. It's odd because these chemotherapy drugs, the most serious side effect is supposed to be the possibility of very bad diarrhea which is exactly the opposite of what I'm experiencing I think.

I'm certainly not going to work today, I'm not sure about tomorrow. I don't want to let this knock me down too much... but we'll just have to see. If I can get my stomach and assorted other pains under control I think I'll feel pretty normal.

I thought that my FSA was set up so that they automatically figured out when I had eligible expenses from my insurance and would automatically reimburse me. Turns out that was not the case and I have to go submit like 25 pages of insurance "explanation of benefits" to get reimbursed for all the stuff since the beginning of the year. Oh well, it will certainly be worth it! I also took care of dealing with a few annoying insurance/bill related issues today. I've decided dental insurance is basically useless. I will certainly not be paying for it again next year. I'd rather just bear the full cost and use the money from my FSA to cover things. I didn't realize that my normal health insurance actually covers some minimal dental work (some xrays and cleaning) which is nice. It also makes my supplemental dental insurance a lot more expensive that it should be in my mind, so I won't be paying for it next year!

6 comments:

  1. Yay for an almost-empty pump!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan,
    I assume you are done and hope that the side effects (if any) are bearable. I have so many friends going thru chemo! It's just amazing....WHAT is going on?????
    I wish I could be of some kind of help with your dental. You are always welcome to come to my office! Guess that's kindof crazy.........I know if and when you get here I will be cleaning Emily's teeth and I will certainly take care of you. I'm assuming you will need to have a tray made for fluoride use. I sure wish I could be of some help.
    I wish you a speedy recovery, enjoy your HOT shower!!!! Love to you both, Jill-Mom XXXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay ... here's to the empty pump! Dump the pump!

    I really like your Jill-Mom ... she's good family and I hope to meet her during this family trip you're making to Florida. Jacques and Christopher are coming, too. We're gonna have a family reunion!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ryan,
    You missed the staff meeting so it's OK to put down the netbook and come back to work now.

    Miss ya,
    Kirc

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ryan,

    How, exactly, does the treatment routine go? How long does it take for the irinotecan infusion? Are you home for most of the pump treatment? Sounds like you are looking at at least three to four days of down time during treatment weeks.

    I know what you mean about enjoying a shower. Nothing like it to calm body and soul. And speaking of calming, aren't insurance forms fun? Just what you need to take your mind off things. Well, here's wishing you pleasant poops. I love you.

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ryan,
    I can't say enough about your attitude. Our mind and bodies work togather so keep up the good work. I hate doing ANY paperwork. You are handleing it well. I would probably shread it. (Just kidding).
    Looking forward to seeing you and Emily soon.
    Love, Grandma

    ReplyDelete