Monday, March 9, 2009

Today was a good day

I had a miraculous good night of sleep last night. I woke up this morning and wasn't in that much discomfort. My GU pain appears to have mostly dissipated as well.

Dr. Kasamon got the results from my last "UTI" urine bacteria culture. It turns out there wasn't much bacteria at all, suggesting I didn't actually have a UTI. Just some other sort of "inflammation". Since my symptoms have mostly gone away today, maybe this is just some sort of periodic extremely annoying thing I'm going to have to deal with. In any case it seems unlikely that antibiotics would have helped anyway (other than placebo effect). I went by Kasamon's office and they took some blood to see how I was doing after my first week of chemo and they also took a urine sample to check it out as well. I ended up not seeing Dr. Somerville since the issues there seem largely resolved. I have an office appointment with the urologist who put my stent in, Dr. Fenig, next Wednesday. I'm going to have to make a habit of keeping up with him I think so that this stent thing gets worked out.

After the visit to Kasamon's office I went to work for about 5 hours.

Before the sun set Emily and I went back to the park and unloaded another old loaf of bread on the ducks and geese.

All together it was a pretty eventful day. I am finally tired now though. Lots of walking and doing stuff. I hope I didn't overdo it! Emily is out driving to put a light blanket on her horse right now. I can't wait until Addy finds a new home. It is absolutely ridiculous the complete lack of care her horse receives for the money we're paying. I'd rather pay twice as much (we might end up doing just that!) for her to be cared for properly.

5 comments:

  1. It was good to see you at work Ryan! I hope you can find a good home for your poor horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ryan,
    You sound sooooooo good!!!!!! I pray this is a good day for you too.......
    You needed some positive news from Drs., and you seemed to have gotten some....that's GOOD!!!!
    Take care of yourself Ryan, do not overdo it, and get ready for a wonderful time with your family.
    Love you, Me XXXXXXXXXXXXOOOOOOOOOOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ryan,
    I'm so happy to read some good news. You have learn how to take one day at a time. You and Emily are such good parents to Addy. You two remind me of parents trying to pick out the best school for their child. Good Luck. I hope you have another joyously eventful day. May nothing but good things happen. I love you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's soooo good to hear news that your'e feeling better. Normalacy is closer now.

    I want to comment on the squeaky wheel suggestion Jill and your Mom elude to.

    I do think that in the day of a doctor's job they become superficial in covering all that needs to be discussed with their patients. Finding all possibilities of health awareness and cures (even if some 'cures' have not been proven in the 'official' books) becomes the responsibility of the patient. It is a proactive action on your part as a patient to listen to the support groups that have something to say about their experience. They have been there to say how they 'think' they helped themselves. Their action was not always in complete trust of the doctor alone. A little bit of playing the devil's advocate might have helped them get answers from doctors (or survivors of cancer). There's a balance of both trust and doubt. The main goal is to try and tune into the body's instinctive requirements. Nag your doctor, follow through on your own creative intuition, and be relentless in finding answers.

    Hope you have a nice flight into sunny Florida. I am silly with excitement knowing I'll be seeing you and Emily again!

    Love, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello dear cousin,

    It was so nice to read a good report. You sound hopeful at peace after what seems to have been a beautiful day (and I trust Addy will have a new home soon). I continue to pray for you on a regular basis. What are your Florida dates? I already have my ticket to DC for April 2-8 and was really hoping to meet Emily and spend some time with you both in the city. Let me know the plan if you can nail it down. :)
    Love, Heather

    ReplyDelete