Sunday, March 29, 2009

A new 'do!

I had a big haircut today. I had a very friendly Vietnamese (I think) hair cutter person. They were very interested why I wanted to not only have my hair cut and donated but why I further wanted it shaved off. I was trying to avoid getting into a discussion about having cancer but it was pretty unavoidable. Turns out the hair cutter person, her son died of colon cancer at 38 (which is very young still for colon cancer) and her husband died of a heart attack. She has bad luck like me. I was afraid she was going to cry or something; it's probably not common she talks about stuff like that with her hair cutees.

We had a very good weekend. On Saturday we went to the Baltimore hamfest and Emily was able to witness a truly crazy nerd event. It was very large, much much bigger than the Gainesville one. There was a tremendous amount of total junk available and a handful of booths with new neat stuff. I doubt I'll go back again, but it was a good experience nonetheless. Then we drove up to Hunt Valley and ate brunch at a completely packed Panera. Then we drove back down to Timonium and went to Lowe's. I wanted to find some household organization stuff and I wanted to pick out some stone/brick to do edging around the front of our house with. Emily did not like any of the brick so that's unfortunate. We'll have to find some somewhere else to get some acceptable rocks. Didn't find anything I really liked for organization either. It was a totally fruitless trip. To try to make things better we went farther east to Ikea in White Marsh. That didn't go very well at all (at least initially). We went through the whole showroom part of the place and didn't find anything that was the right size or right look that we totally liked. In the end we still managed to spent $250 though. I found something in the warehouse that I didn't notice in the showroom that was good for one of the spots I wanted some shelves. We bought another thing to organize our shoes and other stuff. It's unfinished pine, so we went to Lowe's today and bought some stain. Hopefully soon (next weekend I guess) we'll be able to stain it and get it put together and serving it's purpose. I've never stained anything so I am kind of excited about it.

We spent quite a bit of time this weekend organizing the house and cleaning things. We've bought all sorts of home organization products and are slowly putting them to work. We have also plotted out some spots to place a bunch of the pictures we have not yet hung. I've gotten over my aversion to putting holes in the wall. I don't care, I'm going to be here for a while and I may as well put holes wherever I want. I also have decided to look into basic woodworking. We still have some random nooks and crannies that we want "something" in (a table, some shelves). We'll never find anything to fit that is to our liking. I may as well make something that looks decent. How hard could it be?!? I checked out 3 books on woodworking from the library today. Maybe I'll be able to muster the energy to read them while I'm toasted in bed from chemo. Our house is finally starting to come together, after more than a year. We're getting the boxes off the floor and unpacked (well, the stuff in boxes usually just ends up in storage bins and shelves, but whatever).

Emily is not going to post anything tomorrow regarding my chemo unless something really bad happens. I probably won't post anything either if the previous two rounds are any indication of how I'll be feeling. If you hear nothing, you can safely assume I feel pretty shitty and extremely tired. ;)

Now, for some pictures:

This was taken before our "hike" around the park last week. It was cold out.


This is the new beanie that Emily made for me. It feels awesome. I think it's cashmere. This picture was taken today. Notice the shorter beard. (The hair cutter lady was very anxious to trim it up; I'm glad she did, it looked even more ridiculously long with no hair!)


No hair!


This is a picture of my room as of today. For those of you who have seen it before, you will likely notice a marked improvement in aesthetics. For those who haven't seen it, trust me... it's a lot better.


Another shot of room organization.


And lastly: a shot of me sitting at my computer desk in my new organized room.

3 comments:

  1. So there IS hardwood flooring in your room... I never could actually see it before;)

    I know this comment will make no sense since your skull is the same skull as before, but I swear your head looks even better! Maybe it's the beard??? Whatever it is, I actually like this look! You look so... Edgy. Actually, you look like half my cyclists friends now that I think about it. Shaved head but facial hair:)

    In reference to your last post about being attached to your hair more than you thought, I completely understand that. I remember when this one hair dresser took off twice as much as I had asked for. I felt so silly, but I got all teared up over it! I really never thought I'd cry over my hair. However, that did make it easy for me to cut off 8 or so inches when I got back from Scotland.

    I LOVE the blue beanie! I bet it goes GREAT with your eyes (which are really prominent now what with the lack of hair).

    Woodworking is actually something I've always been intrigued by, just never gone anywhere with it. I hope you will have the energy to look through those books while recouping. Seems like the best way you can still be productive while being laid up. I'd love to see what you make! (I can't believe Lowes was a bust... I WISH it would be a bust for me one of these days so I'd stop spending so much money there!)

    Ok, that's it, LOVE YA!

    ~Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. The new "Do" looks good. The trim on the beard also looks good. Love the beanie. Emily does great work.
    Sounds like you both have been busy and you never said that it tired you out (even though I know it most likely did).
    Lowes wasn't a bust for me. Went on Saturday and had to stop spending when I filled up the flatbed cart. Had the beginning of Spring stuff to get. Love that yard work.
    Getting the house together is important. Gives you a real sense of accomplishment. Puttting holes in the walls is something we got over a long time ago. The fact is, you own the house, so just do it and make it all the way you want.
    I believe you will like the woodworking thing. I have enjoyed it in the past. It is fulfilling to see the final product (as long as it turns out good).
    Here is hoping your next round of Chemo goes well for you. We will wait to read your next blog whenever you feel up to writing.
    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the pictures and good for you guys to get the house all cozy and organized, we love doing that. Let us know how the staining goes, we have kept a couple of old wood furniture with the hope of making it pretty some day.
    love you.

    ReplyDelete